Picket gate between picket fence dilema

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all
I wonder if you can help.
I have swapped out a picket fence in our garden ( nice face in our garden) And just gone to put a gate in between two of the panels ( again nice side facing us)
Put the hinges on the back of the post and the back of the gate. of course it will only open into their garden except its too unlevel to do so. Opening our way the gate jams on the post
Are there any options to get the gate to open into our garden?
so far i have considered mounting to the front of the post ( means the gate will sit away from the fence) hinges on the front of the gate ( will look crap)

Any other ideas or thoughts??

any help appreciated ( apart from start the fence again)
Cheers

Sponsored Links
Mount it higher?
Trim the bottom?
Lower the grass / dig in a few paving slabs?

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies,
Yes its a gate between two gardens, I cant really mount it higher or really dig out their garden.
Trimming the bottom of the gate is a good idea though.
In an ideal world I would like the gate to open onto our garden as opposed to theirs but I suspect thats not really possible without it looking poo

Thanks for the replies,
Yes its a gate between two gardens, I cant really mount it higher or really dig out their garden.
Trimming the bottom of the gate is a good idea though.
In an ideal world I would like the gate to open onto our garden as opposed to theirs but I suspect thats not really possible without it looking poo
Put the hinges on the other side.

Thanks for the replies. Ended up trimming a few inches off the bottom and it opens into the neighbours garden

Bit late now but one solution may have been to have the top hinge nearer to you than the bottom one. When closed the gate would be level, although with the top leaning in towards you slightly (which might look ok depending on viewpoint). But as you open the gate away from you, the leading edge would rise.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back