Fixing a Picket gate to house wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.
We have a sloping stepped walkway down the side of the house that is 91cm wide. House(brick) on one side and driveway (4ft breezeblock) on the other side.
I need to put a Picket gate between the 2 to stop the dog getting out.
As the gate it 90cm wide I was hoping to fix the hinges directly to the house wall.
Are there any reasons why this is a bad idea and wont work?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
the hinge screws will tend to loosen over time.

Fix a post to the wall, and the hinges to the post.

What is on the inside of the wall?

Thanks for the replies
Harry, I hadnt thought of that but it wont really be a problem as it 2 levels below the bedroom.
John D, I dont really have the space for a post and I was going to use thunderbolts or something similar

Sponsored Links
you could use a 4x2

it will be a lot worse in the block wall where you have your latch.

JohnD what will be a lot worse?
To be honest as the gat is in front of a step I was going to use that as a "stop" and just use a bolt that slid into the block wall ( Well a metal tube inserted into the hole

the holes in the blocks will wear away and the screws (or bolt) will come loose, quicker than in bricks.

if you are using a tube liner, that will be better. bed it in external/waterproof Builders Adhesive of the "no more nails" type.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back