Picture distortion and signal booster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
All of a sudden I started to get picture distortion and scrolling of picture on all 5 TV's connected to loft 6 way signal booster from all three signal generators the sky box, the RF modulator connected to Hard-drive/DVD recorder player and old VCR.

Swapping the 6 way NIKKAI signal booster for an old two way booster in loft cured the problem (for 2 TV's) although we have lost the by-pass and hence the sky remotes no longer work.

I did test with only one TV connected first in case it was one of the unused TV's causing the problem with the rest.

I have never had this type of fault before and I had not realised a faulty booster could cause this sort of fault.

Has anyone else had similar problems? Is the booster now just fit for bin or is there a cure?

As a foot note I tried booster on main aerial and it has improved all digital TV. Just analogue it seems to have a problem with.

Sponsored Links
If you are a dab hand at electronics then you might find that the fault is a dead or dying capacitor, or possibly a duff regulator.

The question is though... Is it worth a repair on something mains powered that's left unattended in your loft once it has started to get a bit flaky?

Personally, I'd seriously consider a new replacement. The few tens of pounds a replacement would cost is a no-brainer for the peace of mind IMO :)

have you re-tuned anything recently or altered connections !!

No nothing changed but I may open it up and look for fault. Just interests me why it should go that way. New one ordered and I will replace first before opening up just in case new one is the same. Temporary replacement has not got digi-eye through bit so maybe something to do with that? Worth waiting a few days before opening.

Sponsored Links
the reason i was asking was i used to have a freeveiw box that when you tuned it in for new channels would always interfere with chanel 4 untill you retune the output frequency
in the end to save retuniing every telly in the house before tunning would alter the output frequency [53 to 55] before retuning then reset [55-53]this cured the problem
hope you find a solution soon

I had already realised the problems with co-channel interference and realised I had to use the bottom of the band. The three channels at 21, 26 and 28 were all tried on there own with same results And the aerial was disconnected. I have found two more analogue channels on 23 and 33 with aerial connected poor quality very grainy black and white. I will assume next door house is transmitting them?

The digital channels don't start until 44 I do sometimes wonder why I bother with an aerial as seems every week I have to return TV because something has changed.

Except for Yesterday we watch everything on Sky+ or a free to air satellite box. We do have 3 Freeview receivers two built into TV's and one set top box but very rare they are used.

I should climb up and turn my aerial at the moment aimed horizontal at Winter Hill but really should be vertical to some transmitter on Wirral. Moel-y-Parc is visible and a lot closer but I prefer English TV. When I had a rotator up I could also get Central.

With 4 transmitters in range it does not leave many free channels so I had been very careful in selecting and it was the first thing I considered that a freeview channel was the problem but seems that was not the case.

P.S. New splitter booster with digital by-pass fitted today Philex SLX8B and all seems now A1. I had never expected this sort of fault to be caused by booster.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back