Picture Nail Through Ring Main Cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just hammered a small picture nail through socket cable. RCD TRIPPED CORRECTLY. Nail removed and electric supply restored. Removed wall plaster to reveal cable. small hole evident in the middle.

should I open the outer sheath and apply electrical tape to inner cores, and outer sheath. Or only apply tape to the outer sheath?

Sponsored Links
It's a lot more complicated than just taping things up I'm afraid! You need to check if any of the cores have been broken... it is possible the earth core has been severed. (Things would still work off the socket BUT you could have a nasty potential issue there)

I would imagine there is some damage so that damaged section as a minimum will need to be replaced.

The best fix is to replace the cable entirely. (Been there, had to do that!)

Next best is to repair by crimping. (Using correct crimp tool, not one used on car electrics)

If you're at all unsure get an electrician in... seriously.

Just out of curiosity. Where was this picture nail being knocked in, in relation to any electrical sockets, switches etc.

Thanks for the info. The cable was positioned above and just left of the socket. This was my doing some years ago, when I removed part of the wall and had to move the socket couple or 3 inches to the right. !!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back