chaffed cable through joist

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
whilst having the bedroom floor up to expose some cable for work I'm doing in the kitchen I'm noticing a 2.5mm cable chaffed through to the neutral core ie copper wire showing! the cable is one of approx 6 passing through a 25mm diameter hole bored in the floor joist. The house is 30yrs old and has never been messed with so all this wiring is original. I cant for the life of me see what has happened for this cable to wear outer and inner sheath as I can't see how any of these cables will move and wear away. I've taped it up meanwhile.

Any suggestions and should I be worried about the rest of the house?

Sponsored Links
Might be the result of some rough cable pulling on the original installation, cable on cable can "burn" the insulation if not done with care, could be a one off or not:cautious:

Could be mice etc, or it could have happened getting pulled through the hole. It'll be best to replace it though.

Sponsored Links
no, looks to me like a smooth worn surface over approx 30mm long with the copper slightly exposed in the centre. It corresponds with the edge of the joist hole as if the cable had been constantly moving over a period of time and worn on the holes edge but cant see how it could have been moving...

I learned that lesson in my early days of contracting when the gaffer ( an ex pro rugby player ) kindly pointed out the error of my ways

pics.gif

looks to me like a smooth worn surface over approx 30mm long with the copper slightly exposed in the centre. .
I've seen something like that where rats had been using the hole in the joist as a short cut to wherever rats like to go. (The place was overrun with them, a few ran across my back while I was replacing the damaged cable).

sorry bansheds my cameras faulty and I dont do phone cameras. Had another look today and actually I can see some sharp edges to the wear area so now am thinking maybe someone sliced it with a saw or something - maybe they then hid it in the joist hole!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back