Stripping tool for outer cable sheath (round/flat)?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks.

When wiring, the biggest pain I have is removing the main outer insulation from flat and round cable (the grey or black or white outer that exposes the insulated L,N,E wires inside).

while I have automatic strippers for the small inner wires, for the outers I’ve always used a Stanley knife. Fine for big cables, but for smaller lighting cable I’m forever nicking the outer sheath slightly too far and cutting into the inner wires... so I have to start again upon seeing a bit of copper exposed.

I blame it on bad eyesight and clumsy hands.

Is there such a thing as a tool I can buy to strip the outer insulation from cable? ideally everything from 0.75mm cabinet lights up to 2.5mm T&E.

I’ve seen one tool called a Jokari Allrounder but it looks a bit flimsy.

Sponsored Links
Get some reading glasses, stronger than you need for reading so they biggerise the cable.
Use a new/sharp blade and press very lightly.

I have tried the tools for cutting round cables, you would have to reset it (testing the cut) for every different round cable.
The one I had from RS always kept de adjusting itself too, do I fixed it in location and would only use it on 1 size of cable (they have different thickness outer insulation).
Flat cable, can't help you there - I get my mate Stanley to do it for me :)

Cant you cut the end and pull the cables apart to split the outer insulation?

Sponsored Links
The jokari cable knife is similar to the one I have been using, as I mentioned - different sized cables (in fact the same cable just different reels of it) tend to come with different thicknesses of insulation so if your not careful you can nick the inner cores.
Although - if your stripping a load of the same cable it can be very quick and easy to use.

Useless for flat cable though.

As for pulling the cores apart, there is a train of thought that doing that puts a lot of undue strain on the copper core inside, stretching and weakening it.
Never seen an electrician that doesnt do it though. :)

94214.jpg

I use the above just under £22 from Tool Station https://www.toolstation.com/jokari-allrounder-wire-stripper/p94214

As for pulling the cores apart, there is a train of thought that doing that puts a lot of undue strain on the copper core inside, stretching and weakening it. Never seen an electrician that doesnt do it though. :)
With T+E, I've often seen electricians, and others, tug on just the bare CPC, using it as a 'cheese wire' to cut through the outer sheath. The CPC does, however, then end up slightly longer than the other conductors, giving an indication of what the trauma has done to it!

I confess that I quite often do that myself, but after lightly scoring (without penetrating) the sheath with a sharp knife. When one does that, the CPC 'cheese wires' its way through the scored part of the sheath very easily, without appreciably stretching it.

Kind Regards, John

we do, but they are not really suited for the outer insulation of a cable and can tear the inside cores too.

This is what I use :
Cutter.jpg

It's a sharpened screwdriver blade with the insert of a choc-block connector as an adjustable depth stop.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back