stripping flex

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
T&E I find pretty easy to strip, just head for where the eath wire is and you can easilly slice the outer sheath without damaging the inner insulation.

Flex OTOH has always caused a problem for me. I've tried the score and break method with a knife but I often find myself accidently cutting too deep. I've tried cutting inwards from the end with a knife or cutters but again easy to cut too deep

Anyway what I'd like to know is can anyone recomend an off the shelf flex stripper that can reliablly remove the sheath from or other methods of stripping flex. that have a lower failure rate than trying to score with a handheld knife.

Would something like http://onecall.farnell.com/abeco/063/cable-stripping-tool/dp/TLAB063 be a good buy.

Sponsored Links
I use a handheld knife, the main points being:
- the knife must be very sharp, so it will score the flex with almost no pressure being applied
- the flex needs to be held in some way, I have a toolbox with a large grid pattern in the top, which most flex fits into. Alternatively a wooden block with a groove in it would do.
- score towards the end of the flex, and when about 1 inch from the end, apply pressure so that the knife cuts right through the outer covering. This makes it easy to get hold of the inner wires and peel the outer covering away. Any damage to the ends can be cut off.

Since it's always <50mm, I mark ( gentle light cut around the sheath) flex at the strip point with a stanley blade. bend at 3 points to break the sheath to the inner cables and then tug the lot off.

Works for me.

Sponsored Links
Never used the stripping tool you linked to.

My technique is same as flameports...I even have a specific Stanley knife in bag which I know is sharp. I used to adopt chri5's technique but found it was more susceptible to nipping through the inner insulation too easily as I am clumsy!

I find flex annoying in that it always manages to pick up marks that wont easily rub off and then feel I cant use it in a clients house if it will be visible. :rolleyes:

Never used the stripping tool you linked to.

My technique is same as flameports...I even have a specific Stanley knife in bag which I know is sharp. I used to adopt chri5's technique but found it was more susceptible to nipping through the inner insulation too easily as I am clumsy!

I find flex annoying in that it always manages to pick up marks that wont easily rub off and then feel I cant use it in a clients house if it will be visible. :rolleyes:

A little bottle of jif and a rag will bring it up like new.

Side cutters, a bit of bending and my thumb nail works OK for me :LOL:

Since it's always <50mm, I mark ( gentle light cut around the sheath) flex at the strip point with a stanley blade. bend at 3 points to break the sheath to the inner cables and then tug the lot off.

Works for me.
Works for me too.
I generally press the knife gently onto the cable and roll across some handy flat surface. Not enough to cut through the outer but enough to break when bent.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back