European to UK plug rewiring?

Sponsored Links
Sorry.

I'm all out of sync.... That was directed at Crafty re the schuko-UK convertaplug thingy.

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys. I used to have accounts with cpc, farnell & RS & that wasn't around when I made my adaptor.

securespark said:
If you want to call it modified, OK.

However, I have spoken to Bosch & Neff today and they have no absolutely no problem whatsoever with an after market plug top being fitted to their appliances. Indeed, they say it is very often the case that their plugtop is removed to allow the appliance flex to be routed.

Can you tell me which companies have told you that replacing the plug top could be problematic? I'll give them a ring tomorrow.
The point i'm trying to make (badly by the look of it :LOL:) is that if badly wired and a fire was attributed to the plug then an insurance company could have a possible getout of paying up.

Did Bosch also say that the approval would still be the same standard?
I'd be surprised as they would have no knowledge of what type plug was fitted and whether it was up to BS standard or not, there are still many old dodgy plugtops lying around the country in DIY boxes.

In the domestic environment lots of dodgy practices get looked over, the story is different where i work and the same at previous places i have worked where specifications are adhered to and any type of modification is strictly controlled and retested and certified that sort of control is not usually apparent at home by most.

No they didn't. But I know at least 2 customers who still have 1940's round pin socket outlets with appliances that have been refitted with 15A plug tops. The old non-sheathed variety.

Have you advised them that they should consider an upgrade?
There are still loads of people out there that don't realise what deathtraps can be lurking around their homes. When in the past I'd advised on renewal I've come across the attitude that it's never given any trouble in many years to which i reply that if it is that old then the internal wiring is probably ready to crumble and cause a fire at any moment and probably hasn't before as it has been undisturbed but would you want to gamble that it could go up in smoke at any moment? Even then some people say they dont want it changed thinking short term that they've saved some money. :rolleyes:

I had a customer who refused to accept her lighting was shot.

Went round to repair a "sizzling switch", which was a loose connection. But the switches & fittings were all metal & their was no cpc. Further, the kitchen dimmer had been installed by an "electrician" who had used the cpc (in a piece of old colour flex) as a switchwire. I talked the lady round that this had come to the end of it's life & needed upgrading.

Then her husband came on the scene. His opening shot was, "is it going to explode?"

"I worked in the war as an explosives expert & I could also dismatle & re-assemble a Bren gun........." he continued.

He refused to accept it was anything but fine. It's been hunky-dory for 50 years, what can possibly go wrong now. He even refused to sign the form that was left detailing all the faults, or even to return it.... :rolleyes:

Got identical problem and wondered how you got on with a new plug before I risk divorce by cutting the wire and finding no way back!

Got identical problem and wondered how you got on with a new plug before I risk divorce by cutting the wire and finding no way back!

Good read...

Wakey: If you do have the same problem and it will only work if you wiggle the flex near the plug, and you are sure it is only the flex that is damaged near the plug top end then you will not make things worse by chopping back the flex and fitting a new UK style plug.

BUT: Make sure you have the proper fuse in the plug as all new plugs generally come with a 13 Amp fuse which will not protect a small flex. Also consider asking a local electrical shop if they can replace the whole flex, or try contacting the manufacturer for advice. (you never know they might swap it for a new one if it is a known problem)

Wakey - if you've done the same check and tried it in a different adapter or in a shaver socket, and you know it is the cable, use a Stanley knife or similar to cut through the cable right where it comes out of the plug body.

Strip the sheath and insulation back about 4-5mm and pull on the cores with a pair of pliers. If there's a break near the end of the cable the conductors will come out and you'll know how far down it is.

A few things :

1) It's perfectly legal for an appliance manufacturer to fit a BS1363 to CEE 7 (UK Plug to Schuko/Europlug) adaptor to any product, provided that it's permanently fixed to the plug and can only be removed with the use of a tool. That snap on plug is completely acceptable. They just can no longer provide an appliance with the wrong plug for the wrong market in the EU anymore, nor can they supply an appliance with no plug. There were a lot of shocks caused by expecting consumers to wire their own plugs. This situation was almost unique to the UK and the other countries that use "weird" plugs i.e. UK, Ireland, Malta, Cyprus, Italy, Denmark and Switzerland. EVERYONE else uses CEE 7/7 !! They're also very handy if you're travelling to Spain, France etc on holiday regularly as you can just remove the converter plug when you're abroad!

2) Those adaptors provide a connection that's as least as good as a normal rewirable UK plug. The fact that the Europlug inside is moulded on removes the risks of fraying cables / loosely connected wires etc too.

3) There is absolutely no difference between a UK Cable and European cable. They're a single harmonised standard, it's only the plug that's different. Appliances and electrical standards are also identical i.e. 230V 50Hz. The only national quirks you'll find are plugs, sockets and house wiring practices which vary very slightly from EU country to country. Plugs/Sockets have pretty much harmonised on the de facto standard of CEE 7/7 which is a 16 amp plug that fits either 'schuko' (with side earth contacts) or French (with a protruding earth pin) sockets. It's the most commonly used connector for 230V power systems world wide.

4) It's HIGHLY unlikely to be a problem with the plug or the plug converter. What it sounds like is that the wires have broken inside the flex near the plug due to heavy use of the hair straightener. Because the cables are twisted/pulled they tend to strain at the plug or at the appliance.

Solution :

Cut the plug off a couple of inches down the flex (you'll have to put up with it being shorter).

Wire on a normal UK plug as usual.

If the fault is still there, you need to throw the appliance away though as the cable's not something that you can replace.

If the machine's still under a guarantee at this stage, just tell them it's faulty and you want a replacement.

I don't think you'll be voiding anything by changing the plug though!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back