Wiring a UK gang strip to an EU plug.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When going to the EU I tend to take a UK 3-pin gang strip (3 or 5 way with 1m flex) and plug it into the EU adapter - all good as it allows me to power / charge the mobile devices and laptop we take away.

What I was looking to do is remove the 3-pin plug and wire in a 2-pin EU plug so I can plug the gang strip straight into the wall socket but I am unsure of the wiring diagram, any help is appreciated.

Sponsored Links
19-1058_8.jpg
The combination euro plug works with both German and French outlets wire for French use, it is same order as UK plug so back of plug and with earth at top line is to right, neutral left and earth centre. With German sockets unlike English and French the plug will go in either way up.

The Spanish, Italian, French, etc all made different plugs, however not made to the quality of the English plug, we did some thing no other nation has done, during the second world war we started to design a system to allow us to rebuild after the war and abandoned the old, nearly every other country has tried to make things backwards compatible. So around the rest of the world you get sockets like this
DSC01513.jpg
It is made to take a whole load of plugs and together with similar sockets you have a bodge allowing near every plug to fit every socket. However even in the UK there are problems, the British shaver plug is not quite the same size as a German two pin plug, but with a bit of a push they will fit, but in doing so it can strain the bits giving pressure on the contact points and so mean they over heat. A shaver uses so little current not really a problem, but using a plug which will fit at a push is not always good.

So many countries have given up their own plug and fitted the German rubbish, I say rubbish as it can be inserted either way around and plugs needing an earth will fit in sockets which don't have an earth. So Turkey has for one nearly abandoned their own plug and use German, and the same with many other countries. This link shows many of the options but in hotels and the like often even if rest of the country has their own plug the hotel will have the German one.

Because however the German plug can be reversed it is not permitted by British regulations, so visitors to UK have to use adaptors, although the socket above will take all sorts it is not permitted in the UK. Often hotels and camp sites are built for tourists from one nation. I have used a static caravan in France with all UK sockets.

What I would do is take a multi-socket with me, and when I get to country then buy a plug, or in fact one of their multi-sockets and swap the plugs, so I have one I can use when I get back with anything I buy there, and one I use there with anything I took out with me.

Sponsored Links
I thought about buying a gand strip when I was over there but in all honesty I am going to be butchering something that is going to cost me €10+ just for a plug and I have seen their EuroPlanet shops (same as our PoundLand) that sells the plugs for just €1 so if I can just replace the 3-pin then I am all good.

I have an apartment in Spain, and it really annoys me that firstly, some of the sockets are on the 10A lighting circuit, and secondly that there is no consistency in the way the sockets are wired. Some have phase on the left (looking into the socket) and some on the right! How has the Schuko plug and socket managed to take over Europe when it clearly is by no means the "best of the bunch"?

Just use an adapter to plug your extension lead in, who knows you may at some point end up with UK style sockets available and you'd be stuffed if you had changed your plug.

Just use an adapter to plug your extension lead in, who knows you may at some point end up with UK style sockets available and you'd be stuffed if you had changed your plug.

No, don't do that. Most adapters are poorly made and don't conform to any countries regulations. Just change the plug. Plugs are cheaper than adapters and much safer.

However, if it's done with a good adapter it will be fine, I have done this for years whilst traveling throughout europe.
If you have a specific plug on the end you are limited to using it only in the countries that have that plug unless you use an adapter too, so if your going to use it in multiple countries, use a UK plug most of the time and an adapter when abroad.

However, if it's done with a good adapter it will be fine, I have done this for years whilst traveling throughout europe.
If you have a specific plug on the end you are limited to using it only in the countries that have that plug unless you use an adapter too, so if your going to use it in multiple countries, use a UK plug most of the time and an adapter when abroad.

Have you ever seem a good adapter that has a CE mark even let alone the appropriate marks for the UK and the country you are using it in?
I haven't.

What would you suggest that he does when he is in a country that uses a different plug than the one you are suggesting he hardwires on?

Yes, I have seen and used good adapters, (i.e. they did not come from poundland), I have also not heard of thousands of electric shocks or fires etc. through using adapters. (which is what you are implying if there is no such thing as a good adapter).

What would you suggest that he does when he is in a country that uses a different plug than the one you are suggesting he hardwires on?

He did say he was going to the EU. So therefore a CEE 7/17 plug would cover all Schuko countries as well as countries using the French version. Italy, Switzerland, and Denmark all use different plugs from these and getting adapters for these is difficult, if not impossible in the UK. So he would need to buy a local plug when he arrives and fit it anyway.

Outside the EU he would have US, Australian, and Israeli plugs to consider. Never seen an Israeli adapter and Australian and US ones generally on sale do not have an earth pin so once again he would need to fit a local plug on arrival.

Yes, I have seen and used good adapters, (i.e. they did not come from poundland), I have also not heard of thousands of electric shocks or fires etc. through using adapters. (which is what you are implying if there is no such thing as a good adapter).

Where? All the adapters I have seen in all the supermarkets and at airports have not been. Ones to fit Schuko/French usually have the pins too small for large loads, 4mm instead of 4.8mm. When used in a correctly wired French socket the L/N ends up being reversed. Another common one is US/Australia with blades that swivel, so creating a poor contact, and no earth connection.

Ever seen an adapter with a CE mark? Ever seen an adapter with a BS1362 mark?

Would you hear about fires or shocks in a foreign country?

Interestingly in recent times I have noticed stores starting to stock more-specific adapters with claims on the packaing that they "comply with new safety regulations" or something along those lines.

I use a 4 way extension lead, but i changed the plug for a short lead with an IEC C13 male end .
41mEp1Qb4RL._SY355_.jpg

Then when i go away i just grab the relevant IEC C13 cable assembly with local plug, plug in and sorted. This means i can even use it in UK like any normal extension lead. E.G.
F6266751-01.jpg

Sponsored Links
Back