Can I rewire a Swiss 3-pin plug to UK plug?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have brought a raclette machine back to the UK from Switzerland. It is wired with a moulded Swiss 3-pin plug, and rated at 6A 1200W.

I would normally just use a 'universal adaptor' for it, but the power and current it requires is more than such adaptors allow. Indeed, we have already blown one of them with a similarly powered hairdryer.

So my question is, can I just chop the moulded plug off and rewire it to a UK plug with a 6A fuse? As the machine is just a glorified heating element, I suspect that this should be possible, but the manual that comes with the machine gives dire warnings about not tampering with the power cable. Is that just a company covering its back, or is there something profoundly different to such a Swiss plug that I should be careful with?

Thank you very much for your help!

Sponsored Links
almost certainly just a manufacturer covering it's arse.

Not sure you'll be able to get a 6 amp fuse for a plug top, but TLC supply 7 amp fuses, apparently. Otherwise you'll have to go for the more commonly available 10 amp.

Normally, Swiss circuits are rated 16amps.
There is no fuse in the plug, that's just the maximum load that it can carry.

If you fit a plug with a 13amp fuse it will give roughly the same level of protection as the swiss plug connected to a swiss 16A circuit.

Sponsored Links
solair, i hate to point out the obvious, but i bet the op has long since done it by now, they only asked in February. (only made the one post, never to be heard of again, not even a thanks) may i suggest you check the date a post was made before you reply

Back