Changing from 3 pin to 2 pin plug

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an Israeli Electric hot tray which has a cable with integral 3 pin plug (not typical UK style).

My Jerusalem kitchen electric socket also takes a 3 pin plug. So direct fitting works fine. However -

I have a need to run the hot tray on a DIGITAL 7 day timer. The only DIGITAL 7 day timer available (although rated to 16 amps) has 3 pins and fits the kitchen socket, but the timer is designed to only take as an input plug - 2 pins!

My suggested solution is to cut off the hot plate 3 pin plug and re-fit with a 2 pin plug which can then be inserted into the digital timer.

Is this a sensible solution. Note I have tried mechanical timers (which both have and take 3 pin plugs), but they are generally not robust and sometimes just unreliable.

Any suggestions.

Sponsored Links
I have an Israeli Electric hot tray which has a cable with integral 3 pin plug (not typical UK style).

My Jerusalem kitchen electric socket also takes a 3 pin plug. So direct fitting works fine. However -

I have a need to run the hot tray on a DIGITAL 7 day timer. The only DIGITAL 7 day timer available (although rated to 16 amps) has 3 pins and fits the kitchen socket, but the timer is designed to only take as an input plug - 2 pins!

My suggested solution is to cut off the hot plate 3 pin plug and re-fit with a 2 pin plug which can then be inserted into the digital timer.

Is this a sensible solution. Note I have tried mechanical timers (which both have and take 3 pin plugs), but they are generally not robust and sometimes just unreliable.

Any suggestions.

No, if it has a 3 pin plug it almost certainly has an earth connection. You should not replace it with a 2 pin plug. Find a timer which takes a 3 pin plug.

Thank you Winston1.

I will continue on-Web searching for a Continental digital timer (suitable for Israel), but so far have only found one product - and that only takes 2 pin input - although rated 16amp.

I'm certainly not going to make the changes until I have some expert's blessing. It is most frustrating, as the 'peg' mechanical timers I have are fiddly and unreliable.

Anyway, thanks for replying.

Sponsored Links
Back