Use a separate timer switch with a delonghi electric heater?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi,
Can anyone help me I have a Delonghi HORK electric radiator KH775920 230 - 230v / 50/60hz and 2000w.
I have been using this with an electrical timer to come on in the morning (1hr) and evening (1hr) in my daughters bedroom as she wakes and goes to bed. I live in MALTA BUT THE PLUG SOCKETS ARE ALL UK BASED. THE TIMER I HAVE BEEN USING WAS 240V 13A WITH MAX 3120W.

I thought this would be fine but tonight there was a smell of burning in her room and one pin of the heater adapter, as the Delonghi is only 2 pin from Italy and therefore need a 3 pin adapter, has melted into the timer hole (lower right.) dreadful smell of burning!!!!!!

Is anyone able to explain why this has happened and what I can do. I would like to use a timer if poss but I don't want to put my child at risk??
Please help me,
Angela

Sponsored Links
Cut the crappy Italian plug off and fit a proper UK plug.

Shouldn't the heater be earthed? So should have a 3-core flex and a 3-pin plug.

As Owain said, cut off the "crappy Italian plug" and replace with a UK one, but also replace the time switch. If it's got that hot it is toast. Going on from Owain's comment, I have come across some heaters which are double-insulated and therefore do not require earthing. If yours only has a two-core cable, check the plate for the double-insulated symbol (a square within a square). If you cannot find this symbol and the heater case is metal, go on the manufacturer's website to double-check the specs. If still inconclusive, bin it and buy one from a UK supplier!

Will look at heater to see if it is double earthed. Why do I need to cut of Italian plug and replace with UK as I am using a three pin adaptor? It I replace would it then be fit and safe to use with a timer? Sorry for simple question but I don't fully understand and thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
Because it is a crappy Italian plug in a crappy adapter, making a poor i.e. high resistance contact, which is a serious fire risk.

Why do I need to cut of Italian plug and replace with UK as I am using a three pin adaptor?

The plug is probably a Europlug CEE7/16 which is OK when plugged into the correct socket. However most adapters are crappy and don't conform to any standards. They work for shavers and toothbrushes but put a decent load on them and they will overheat. So cut the plug off and fit a UK 13A plug (or get a sparks to do it).

You are far from the first one to make this mistake. What actually amazes me is that a 13A plug costs about a quarter the cost of a crummy adapter so why on earth do people do it?

Back