Timers for electric heaters

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking to replace some old bulky electric heaters with new slimline panel heaters. The previous owner had already started this project but had failed to source timers for the new heaters that he installed. The new heaters are part of the Dimplex EVX range (wired into a socket on the wall like most storage and electric heaters) but having done a fair bit of research, including a call to Dimplex, there does not seem to be a purpose made timer device for these heaters. So my question, before I start to replace the rest of the heaters, is whether anyone knows of a timer that I can install into the wall sockets which I can then use to set each heater to come on and off at certain times of the day? And if so, has anyone already done this and able to recommend a particular type of timer or a place where I can buy these?

Cheers,
Ant888

Sponsored Links
Cheers Stem, much apprecaited. And yes, EVX was a typo!

I was looking to use these programmers and thought they'd do the trick. However, having spoke to Dimplex about this they told me that all these programmers do is switch the heaters between comfort settings rather than actually tunring the heater on and off. So this esentailly means that the heater is always on, but at different levels. So I'm a bit wary that although the house might be kept very warm using this method I could be in for some very big electric bills! So I'm still on the look out for something that will turn them on or off ideally....

I have two timers left over from a previous job that I am about to put on Ebay.

You fit one to a heater, and it will control that heater, or if you link all the heaters together with a pilot wire, it will control all heaters in that zone. Great bit's of kit.

I have two of them, as new, in boxes.

Let me know, and I will bung them on ebay.

The timer does set the heater from on, to setback. But you can set the heaters set back temp to low, and the heater will not come on unless it is bitterly cold......and you want it to then - Or you would have turned the FCU off ;)

Progcas2.jpg

Sponsored Links
Thanks Lectrician. That's very good news. I was hoping that the programmers might be able to work like that. To be honest the lady who I spoke to about this at Dimplex didn't do a particularly good job at selling the programmers hence my uncertainty!

What are the model numbers of the programmers you've got? I think the one I had in mind was the RX 9912 transmitter - as apparently this can be connected to slave heaters that are fitted with RX 9913 receivers using existing mains wiring rather than the pilot wire. Sound about right? I'm a novice to this so I may well have got my wires crossed - no pun intended! :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back