French Deep Fat Fryer in UK - Smoke & Electrical Burn Sm

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I ordered a Delonghi Rotofry from France. I plugged it in using a standard France>UK plug adaptor but the unit immediately started emitting smoke from the back and there was a strong smell of electrical burning...didn't seem right at all. Since our voltage and frequency is almost identical, I assumed the fault was with the unit and sent it back for a replacement. Now the replacement has arrived and it is doing exactly the same thing! Can anyone help? Do you think I need to get a voltage converter to reduce the voltage from 240 - 230? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Check the rating plate to make sure it is a 230 volt model.......

Is it not unknown for items intended for the US market ( 110 volt ) to have been known to be sold ( accidently ) into the European market.

On sale in France at 93 euros, in the UK at £56.

Why buy from France?

On sale in France at 93 euros, in the UK at £56.

Why buy from France?

It's the brand new model not available in the UK. It's a little larger than the UK version and can be completely dismantled for easier cleaning. Looks really good...if only I could get it to work!

Sponsored Links
I had one of their deep fat fryers once. While cooking some chips, the lid flew open suddenly, spattering my wife with hot oil and condensate from inside the lid. She was holding a baby grandaughter at the time, but luckily had her back turned to the fryer. My wife was burned, but not too badly since she was wearing a thick cardigan over a blouse.
The retailer gave us a refund and returned the fryer to De Longhi, who claimed the fryer had been mixed with others in their returns warehouse, so they couldn't give us a report. Not even an apology, just a suggestion that it was our fault for not shutting the lid properly. I wish I'd kept it and sued their a**es off.

Needless to say, I'm not a fan of De Longhi.

Check the rating plate to make sure it is a 230 volt model.......

Is it not unknown for items intended for the US market ( 110 volt ) to have been known to be sold ( accidently ) into the European market.

The rating plate on the unit says 220-230 volts, 50/60 hz and 1800 watts. I thought it would be ok for UK voltage, but this is now the second unit I've had and both have been smoking and emitting this strong electrical burn smell when plugged in. Just can't figure out why? Maybe I'll have to invest in a voltage converter to step the voltage down a touch and see if that helps.

The rating plate on the unit says 220-230 volts, 50/60 hz and 1800 watts...............Maybe I'll have to invest in a voltage converter to step the voltage down a touch and see if that helps.

Do not be stupid.

Our voltage is in line with European standard and has been nominal 230volts, 50HZ for several yonks.

Send it back, get your money and buy a similar one here.

The supply voltage in the UK, while nominally 230 Volts, is usually 240 V. In France, the nominal voltage is also 230 V, but the usual is 220 in most areas.

Perhaps there's a reason why DeLonghi don't sell this model in the UK?

Is there any packing material that should be removed before use ? Like packing between the element and the base of the pan that protects the element during transport. I have seen an oven that had been switched on with the polystyrene packing next to the element still in place.

Do the instructions say anything about it emitting smoke & fumes for a short while when it is first used?

All appliances should have a voltage tolerance of at least 10%. We run at slightly different voltage than the UK, but everything works as expected.

Probably a bad batch

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back