Single electric oven plus gas hob supply query

m27

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I currently have a freestanding gas cooker which I am looking to replace with a single (built under) electric oven (Hotpoint SH53K) and a gas hob (also Hotpoint). According to some online stores the oven is "Standard Plug In - 13AMP Supply" others don't specify. In the kitchen where the oven + hob will be installed there is a double electrical socket will this be sufficient? I do not have a dedicated cooker socket at present.

The instruction manual is not very clear to me, I spoke to a NICEIC electrician who fitted my consumer unit a while ago, he said to find out what the load is and what type of cable supply in mm's it requires. But I am clueless !
Here are the details from the oven manual:

The electrical connection to the mains must be made
on the appliance. The power voltage and frequency
are as indicated on the rating plate....

Electrical Connection:
Voltage Frequency: 230
V-1+N 50Hz
Fuse Section: 16A
Supply cable: 3x1.5mm2

You can connect your oven to the system means of a
terminal board. Refer to above information for the
minimal cable sections and the calibration of the
protective elements according to the connection.
If the appliance is installed with a junction box, an
omnipolar circuit breaker - with a minimum contact
opening of 3mm - should be installed between the
appliance and the mains.

We recommend you use a power supply cable which
is long enough to allow you to take the oven out of its
recess in the event of maintenance operations (only
use HAR - H 05 - RRF quality cables fitted with a plug
conforming to the regulations in force.
The plug must be accessible at all times.

voltage: 230-240V ~ 50/60 Hz or
50Hz (see data plate)
maximum power absorbed
2250-2400W

Link to manual (see page 3): http://www.hotpoint.co.uk/hotpoint/_pdf/manuals/19503639406_UK.pdf

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Well, it says 16A fuse. That would indicate that you need a new dedicated circuit from the consumer unit and not a 13amp plug.

You need to ask them to confirm in writing that a 13amp plug is OK for this appliance.

Hotpoint have a Free Helpdesk Service (on an 0844 number :rolleyes:)

Service Hotline 08448 224 224

As the manual says, a plug is fine. The current drawn is also way under 13A. The manual also says you may hardwire if you want to.

You can plug in both the hob spark and the oven but it'll look pretty ugly with those flexes coming out from the worktop. A sparky should be able to put a socket/dbl socket under the counter fairly easily if you have a new consumer unit. Although if you have solid walls which are tiled it might be a bit more problematic. If you do this don't forget to have an isolation switch above the counter for cooking appliances.

Sponsored Links
Thanks everyone for the quick and helpful replies.
Much appreciated!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back