Hardwiring new oven

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
New house, first real attempts at any DIY, so learning lots, but quite green :)

Replacing old single oven with new, and forgot to check (lesson learned) how it was connected to the power supply. New oven requires hardwiring according to instructions but the old oven was plugged into double socket (other socket gas hob ignition) and earthed.

Happy to pay electrician or installation company to come and do the work but am wondering if it definitely needs hardwiring. Not one to argue with manufacturer but the max power is rated at 2,400.

Paste from manual:

voltage: 230-240V ~ 50/60 Hz or 50Hz (see data plate)
maximum power absorbed 2250-2400W
fuse section: 16A
supply cable: 3x1.5mm2

Also, can the required hardwired connection be made from the supply to the double socket? I have a nightmarish vision of a connection needing to be made from the main source at the front of the house.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
First you need to check how the old cooker was wired in. Primarily, was it wired on it's own circuit? So when you switch the appropriate breaker off in the CU, does it just switch off at that socket, or does it switch off the other appliances in the kitchen as well?
If you find it's on its own circuit then the best way to connect it up is by using a 13A FCU. If you use a plug in a double socket and plug something else in as well you will be heading for trouble.
Again, if it is on its own circuit you can use a 16A MCB.

Thanks for the response.

It's not on it's own circuit - the trip switch went one night and killed the oven and the fridge.

The weird thing is that the oven has been delivered since my opening post and my partner says it has a plug on the end... crisis avoided.

Sponsored Links
Okay, so the instruction I got with the oven were the same as the one I found online, and closer inspection reveals that it details wiring a plug to the oven rather than into the mains. Of course it comes pre wired hence the confusion. It can be wired into the mains, but it's all rather cryptic in the manual and it never mentions the plug really, and the comet website still says it needs to be hardwired.

Hotpoint SY10X for anyones future benefit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back