New Oven... 13amp and Hardwiring confusion! HELP!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all!

We bought a new Samsung oven that is "duel technology", it was due to be delivered and installed today.

Well I got all excitable only to be told by the fitter that we needed an oven that had a plug, that this one needed hardwiring.

Is there no easy way to fit an hardwire type oven to a normal plug socket? Even if it means paying out etc.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
What is the wattage of the appliance, in KW? (NOT KWH)

What do the instructions say about supply size?

Is it an OVEN (a box or 2 for heating cakes and chickens),
or a COOKER (a box or 2 for heating cakes and chickens, with 4 hotplates on top)?

Hiya,

Not sure if this is right but these are the specs on the webpage:

Upper Grill (in/out) 1600W / 1100W
Lower Grill 1100W
Convection (Upper/Lower) 1200W / 1200W

It's a built in oven, no hob. It doesn't say anything else or anything about the supply size, obviously they took it away again, i'm just looking online at the details.

If it helps its this: Samsung BT621VDST

The other half thinks it will be quite a job for someone to do the wiring.

I found the destructions on Samsung's website.

The total load is 3650 watts. This is too big for a 13 amp plug and socket unfortunately.

The oven needs a dedicated 16 amp circuit.

Out of interest, more and more appliances are coming out now which have ratings just over 3000w, because they are designed for the continental wiring system where all sockets can take 16 amps! :rolleyes:

Do you have an existing dedicated cooker circuit, for an electric hob, say? If so, what are the specs for this? (cable size, protective device at the fusebox/CU)

http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/content/UM/200806/20080602113118359_BT621-Series_XEU-00157Y_EN.pdf

Sponsored Links
LOL I have no idea!

I'm sorry, i'm a DIY Noob!

We currently have a gas hob, the fitter was corgi registered and basically just said we needed to buy an oven that can plug in, he didn't even try and sell me on the idea of having my kitchen rewired to fit one in :(

You must establish what the load is for the oven, typically ovens up to a standard 2.7kw (usualy single ovens) these days usually have a plug. If the oven draws more than this it must be hard wired otherwise it could damage the plug/socket and wiring leaving you with a serious repair bill , possibly a fire. Check the manufacturer's instructions - don't ignore them and get a qualified electrician. If it requires a dedicated circuit then he/she must be registered under a 'domestic installer scheme' (aka Part 'P' qualified) as the workis notifiable.

Sorry! Just saw the rest of the posts - you have it in hand!

LOL I have no idea!

I'm sorry, i'm a DIY Noob!
If you have a gas hob, chances are you dont have a dedicated cooker circuit (usually come with a big red switch above the worktop to turn the cooker off)

Which means you would need to have a 16 amp radial circuit added to your kitchen.

You are unlucky - most single ovens can just plug in. But yours has extra bells and whistles. ;)

We currently have a gas hob, the fitter was corgi registered and basically just said we needed to buy an oven that can plug in, he didn't even try and sell me on the idea of having my kitchen rewired to fit one in :(
Thats because he is a gas fitter, and knows his limits ;)

Haha yes it does! Which is why I fell in love with it.

I think we're going to go with a refund and buy a regular oven.

Sigh...

Thanks for your help!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back