Plugged to hardwired oven. Just change the socket?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all. We are thinking about replacing our existing oven. The current one is plugged but the possible replacements (see for example a Neff C1AMG84N0B) are all hardwired. The current oven is a Zanussi ZOB 343X, and the spec of the circuit according to the manual is a fuse of at least 15A and 20 A max.

As far as I can tell there is an isolated circuit that is shared by the hob (electric) and the oven. There is a big red switch in the kitchen and it controls both the oven and the hob and that goes to the circuit breaker, I think (pictures below, including of the plug for the oven and the current hardwiring for the hob).

So, for this new oven, would I just need to change the socket and hardwire it or would changes in the circuit be needed?

Also, flat is fairly new build (2016) if that is of any use.
IMG_0679.jpeg
IMG_0678.jpeg
IMG_5002.jpeg
IMG_4996.jpeg

Sponsored Links
You can get a double cooker connection unit designed to have two appliances connected to it, I do have a small concern, the standard cooker supply is 32 amp and any oven would be OK with that, but you have a 40 amp overload, you need to read the instructions with the oven and see what supply it asks for, they are clearly designed for rest of Europe where you normally get 16 amp sockets, but my hob/oven can draw 10466 - 12455 W or around 50 amp, it says in the instruction 32 amp or more supply, but it does not anywhere say what the maximum supply is, clearly one would not fuse to 100 amp, but there is nothing to say what the upper limit is, I would assume 40 amp is likely OK but read the instructions.

Thanks! So, with regards to the hob, it's a Zanussi ZHRN641K, which, according to the specs, has a maximum power draw of 6.500W, which I think, translates into an equivalent of ca. 30A. Not that I have ever used the four places at the same time at max power. However, would that mean that the 40A switch would be insufficient?

No.

Cooking appliance elements cycle on and off (more off than on) because of thermostats even when all switched on at once so do not draw the total current for more than a few minutes.

Sponsored Links
Great! So just need to change the socket and hardwire the oven and that should be all, right?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back