Electric Oven Install

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just had a new electric oven which is 2300W at 220-240V (Divided makes 10 amps) hardwired onto an existing circuit with existing wiring. The oven can also be plugged into a socket so can work with a 13 amp fuse. The previous oven was 2800W at 220V (Divided makes 12.72 amps) and was also hardwired. The faceplate next to the cooker has a socket for a 13amp plug and a switch for isolating the oven, so just the 2 appliances for the circuit. (this also controls the ignition for the gas hob)The circuit breaker is rated as 32 amps and we have had no problems with the previous oven, as such assuming the wiring can handle 32 amp my question is should I now need to decrease the circuit breaker to 15/20 amps as the or will the existing 32 amp breaker be fine? I am concerned that the breaker will not trip until the oven's demands 32amp be which damage to the circuit will occur
--
Ashish

Sponsored Links
What cable size is the circuit on? They'd be no need to lower the Fuse, the Oven shouldn't create an overload current that high unless there was something seriously wrong and if it did the 13A would blow if you're using a Plug for it?

The oven is working at the mmoment . It is already harewired and not pluged in via a 13 amp fus so is connected via the into the existing wiring - not sure of the cable size but as it as old oven worked with no isssues for 17 years with the current cable 32amps) so a assuming it is fine.. I am unsure whether the amps are too high in the circuit breaker (32 anps) amps I am usure I should decrease te Circuit break

I am unsure whether the amps are too high in the circuit breaker (32 anps) amps I am usure I should decrease te Circuit break
You don't need to change anything.
The 32A circuit breaker is there to protect the fixed wiring, which hasn't changed.

Sponsored Links
As above, you're good to go and the oven will never demand 32 amps.

2990 or roughly 3kW is the maximum. However they are not suitable for items which will draw that current continuously for hours, such as immersion heaters or EV charging.
Some cheapo plugs and sockets have been known to overheat with a lot less load.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back