Oven with 13 Amp plug - can it work on 16Amp MCB?

Sponsored Links
Sorry- I wasnt clear - the point behind the cooker isnt a 3 pin plug point - is a dedicate point that you wire into directly - so I would need to remove the plug off off the oven.

All - thanks for the replies - clearly you know your stuff!

So, it looks like the fault is with the socket - the on off switch is flakey - I think thats whats caused the downstairs sockets to trip. Using the socket on the otherside of the over and its fine.
So have a faulty socket outlet, so that needs replacing
Second question though - as there is a dedicated point for the cooker behind it (the one that currently has a 32 amp breaker) - can I take off the 13 amp plug and use the dedicate point? Am guessing the breaker would need to be changed?
You can change that to a socket outlet or fused connection unit, how is the hob connected?

Again, think I have confused thing - sorry.
Currently the oven has a 13 amp 3 pin plug on it. I was using a normal socket on the right of the oven but following the advice on here - tried using it to boil a kettle and discovered that socket has a fault. The switch isnt solid so it going off and on - thats why I think it trips the downstairs breaker. So I tried the oven on the left of the oven and it works perfectly - thank you all for the help on this.

What I then wondered - as there is a direct point behind the oven - which has its own 32 amp breaker - can I take the plug off the oven and wre it into that point. Its not a 3 pin plug point - i would need to wire it in. As its a 32 amp breaker I'm guessing this isnt going to work?

Sponsored Links
What I then wondered - as there is a direct point behind the oven - which has its own 32 amp breaker - can I take the plug off the oven and wre it into that point. Its not a 3 pin plug point - i would need to wire it in. As its a 32 amp breaker I'm guessing this isnt going to work?

Fully understood and as I said:

Yes you can and the breaker does not need to be changed.

Again, think I have confused thing - sorry.
Currently the oven has a 13 amp 3 pin plug on it. I was using a normal socket on the right of the oven but following the advice on here - tried using it to boil a kettle and discovered that socket has a fault. The switch isnt solid so it going off and on - thats why I think it trips the downstairs breaker. So I tried the oven on the left of the oven and it works perfectly - thank you all for the help on this.

We understand this, you have been perfectly clear.
Firstly you need to replace the faulty socket, it is not going to go away or get better and could in the future cause greater issues.
Then with regards to the 32A cooker circuit, I would suggest that the outlet plate was replaced by a 13A(three pin) single socket outlet, then there would be no need to remove oven plug or replace the 32A MCB.

it's also possible to leave the cooker connection point (which probably has large stiff wires feeding it, which can be awkward to put into a socket's terminals) in place, and wire it to a surface-mounted socket.

the cooker outlet will be useful if you, or someone else, later decides to get a dual oven, or an electric cooker that incorporates two ovens or an electric hob. None of them can be supplied from a plug and socket.

Thanks - yes the faulty socket has climbed the list of jobs to do! Good call on changing the outlet plate - thats easy enough. My worry was around it being on a 32amp breaker - was worried it might fry the oven.

My worry was around it being on a 32amp breaker - was worried it might fry the oven.
The oven will not fry, leaving the plug on means it is protected by the fuse in the plug. But as the oven only requires a 13A plug, that would suggest that the oven is rated at around 2kW. So the oven demand will only ever call for that current. The important thing is to protect the cable or flex, which you should have no issues with.
I assume as the oven was originally plugged in, that there is space to use the cooker outlet plate as a socket and the oven will still fit into the oven housing, without sticking out any.

Ct - if Smeg sell that oven in other European countries then they are selling it to be used where there are no such thing as 13A fused plugs or 13A fused connection units.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back