Oven with 13 Amp plug - can it work on 16Amp MCB?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Firstly, sorry for the dumb question - not really up on electrics.

We have just moved house and our trusty Smeg oven - which runs off a 13 amp plug - is tripping the downstairs breaker. There is a direct connection behind the oven but this runs to a 32 Amp breaker - I know I cant just wire it in to that. My question is can I change the 32 amp breaker for a 16 amp breaker and then connect the oven? I cant find a 13amp breaker so I guess it would need to be 16 amp?

Thanks for any help.
Regards
Chris

Sponsored Links
There must be a reason for the breaker tripping, as you already have a 13A plug which discriminates the circuit, so it would make no difference whether the MCB at the board is 16, 20, or 32A. It is the breaker that is tripping, not an RCD, RCCB or RCBO?

I am going to assume by you saying breakers, this is a bank of circuits protected by a RCCB/RCD. That would then lead me to thinking your trusted smeg oven, has become faulty, very likely a heating element. Try plugging some else in to the oven socket, like a kettle or Vacuum Cleaner

Last edited:
Is it a single oven? No second cavity or grill?

What else is connected to the 32A circuit that feeds it? Is there a washer, drier, immersion heater, hob?

We have just moved house and our trusty Smeg oven
is not so trusty :D:mrgreen::ROFLMAO:

Sorry...

Was it on an RCD circuit in your old house?

Did it move straight from one warm dry house to another, or was it in storage?

There is a direct connection behind the oven but this runs to a 32 Amp breaker - I know I cant just wire it in to that.
Actually you might well be able to, but it won't cure the problem.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for replying to the question guys. In the old house it was a standard 4 gang extension - which was plugged into a standard 13 amp wall socket.
The old house had very old wiring - in the new house we have plugged it into a standard wall socket - which is on a 32 amp ring. This trips when the oven is on. The new house has much better wiring so I'm not really surprised its tripping.
The new board is on the photo attached.

Attachments

• IMG_20170611_122624.jpg
    IMG_20170611_122624.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 417
The downstairs ring trips - so all downstairs sockets go dead. The whitegoods are on a separate MCB.

This is hard work.

The ring is the wiring. Wiring cannot 'trip'

WHAT is it that trips? What is written on it????

So thre's a fault that will trip a 32A MCB, but not blow a 13A fuse. Interesting..

As above, what happens if you use a high-powered item, like a kettle in that socket?

I'll try that tonight - you suspect the wall socket might be faulty?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back