Replacing 13 amp oven with higher amp oven

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

We have recently moved in to an old tenement flat, the oven has gone on the blink and are having to replace it. Currently its a 13 amp single oven plugged in to a socket behind the oven. It looks like that is supplied by 2.5mm cable. Due to the age of the building the oven is not on its own circuit, it is on a circuit with the wall sockets in the kitchen and hall which has a 32 amp fuse on the board. I am wondering if it is safe/ok to change the oven to a more powerful 16 amp oven with it being on a shared circuit and only 2.5mm cable?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
The ovens we are looking at say they require hard wiring, if I can find a 16 amp plug in oven that would work with an adaptor I assume? Would the load be too high for 2.5 mm cable?

You should get an oven that's less than 3kW.

Or better still. one that has a 13 amp plug already fitted - meaning it can definitely be plugged into a 13 amp socket.

Sponsored Links
The ovens we are looking at say they require hard wiring, if I can find a 16 amp plug in oven that would work with an adaptor I assume? Would the load be too high for 2.5 mm cable?
You have a ring final circuit. You can only attach things to it that have a maximum 13A fuse. You have two options
Get a new oven that needs 13A or less and plugs in
Or (if you must have a bigger oven) pay an electrician to fit a brand new circuit for the larger oven. I know which I would choose.

You have a ring final circuit. You can only attach things to it that have a maximum 13A fuse. You have two options
Get a new oven that needs 13A or less and plugs in
Or (if you must have a bigger oven) pay an electrician to fit a brand new circuit for the larger oven. I know which I would choose.

Thanks. Is it normal to have 32A breaker on the board for a ring circuit like this?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back