New oven installation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I am looking to purchase a new oven.
My current oven is a 13 amp one connected to a socket which is part of the other kitchen sockets circuit.
The oven I would like to buy is a 16 amp oven and I am aware I would not be able to connect it with the existing setup.
However, I have noticed that in the kitchen, which was recently refurbished, there is a spare cooker switch, with a spare cable all connected to a dedicated fuse in the electrical panel.

The spare switch:
Switch_LR.jpg

The spare cable under the oven:
Spare cable under the oven_LR.jpg

Control Panel:
control panel switch_LR.jpg

Do you think it would be possible to wire a new 16 amp oven to the spare cooker cable and switch?
Is it an easy job and would it be normally covered by the £100 installation fee charged by the online retailers?

Thank you so much for your help!

Filippo

Sponsored Links
It's an easy job for an electrician.

It will NOT be covered by any retailer installation service.

Thank you so much for the fast advice.

Then I guess it would be better to pay only for the delivery of the new appliance and arrange for an electrician to do the connection...
Although I notice that John Lewis has different services for oven installations:

Integrated 13 or 32 amp electric oven - £90

Integrated 16 or 20 amp electric oven - £110

As part of this Service, we'll install a miniature circuit breaker between the cooker switch or connection point and the oven’s cable supply. If there is a 16 or 20 amp circuit already in the property, we'll refund the difference between the two electric oven services, post-installation.

Wouldn't the miniature circuit breaker installation be attached to the spare cable, as the connection point mentioned?

Thanks!

Then I guess it would be better to pay only for the delivery of the new appliance and arrange for an electrician to do the connection..
Definitely.

From what's been posted so far, the work will involve installing a connection plate at the end of that grey cable (usually in the wall behind the oven), connecting a piece of flex from that plate to the new oven, and changing that 50A MCB in the consumer unit to a 16A or 20A type.

Not necessary to add another circuit breaker anywhere.

Sponsored Links
Definitely.

From what's been posted so far, the work will involve installing a connection plate at the end of that grey cable (usually in the wall behind the oven), connecting a piece of flex from that plate to the new oven, and changing that 50A MCB in the consumer unit to a 16A or 20A type.

Not necessary to add another circuit breaker anywhere.

I see. Thank you again!

Then the retailers would charge all that money only to basically unplug the old appliance and plug the new one in...

I can measure the cable, if you like.

Yes the hob is also connected to a B50 with similar setup...

I think it's a 10.
I measure around 17mm the longer cable side.

Is it OK or will I burn down the building?

why can't we tell?
Because we don't know if its 6 or 10mm ?
I was thinking that the cable might run through thermal insulation - when the 50A MCB might be too big.

If not, it's alright as the oven or shower will not overload a 6mm² cable if they are below 47A.

If it is 10mm² then alright apart from insulation derating it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back