Oven with 13 Amp plug - can it work on 16Amp MCB?

So the breaker that trips runs the downstairs sockets, as well as the oven. I expect there are quite a lot of sockets with things plugged into them. Maybe some outdoor sockets or a shed.

So my question please:
Is it a single oven? No second cavity or grill?

What else is connected to the 32A circuit that feeds it? Is there a washer, drier, immersion heater, hob?

How long does it take between turning on the oven, and the breaker tripping?

What happens if you plug the oven into the "white goods" circuit?

Sponsored Links
entertainingly, so is the breaker with the "cooker" label.

Sponsored Links
op , pic of the second board please ,and are any breakers tripping in there ? please also confirm if RCD has tripped

A is the fuse in the plug really 13A or has it been bypassed with foil etc

B how long before the trip, is it instant/does the oven work on another socket circuit ie is there a dead short that trips the mcb instantly before the fuse has time to warm up.

OK, the one I was referring to said kitchen sockets. It appears there is no downstairs sockets MCB.

Yes, we know

What is your constructive input to this topic?

Or are you just going to sit on the sidelines and snipe at minor points, as usual.

So by the evidence given, you do not have a dedicated cooker circuit to which the oven is connected.
Does the oven trip the circuit when it is the only load on this socket circuit or are other loads present at the time. Also we still need to know if the circuit trips when a different load is connected at that socket (as previous kettle on boil), then try plugging the oven in at another socket outlet, use an extension lead if required. What condition is the oven flex and plug in, any signs of damage?

Hi,
Firstly, sorry for the dumb question - not really up on electrics.

We have just moved house and our trusty Smeg oven - which runs off a 13 amp plug - is tripping the downstairs breaker. There is a direct connection behind the oven but this runs to a 32 Amp breaker - I know I cant just wire it in to that. My question is can I change the 32 amp breaker for a 16 amp breaker and then connect the oven? I cant find a 13amp breaker so I guess it would need to be 16 amp?

Thanks for any help.
Regards
Chris

If you have a cooker connection plate behind the cooker you could change that to a single 13a socket and just plug the oven into that.

DS

All - thanks for the replies - clearly you know your stuff!

So, it looks like the fault is with the socket - the on off switch is flakey - I think thats whats caused the downstairs sockets to trip. Using the socket on the otherside of the over and its fine.

Second question though - as there is a dedicated point for the cooker behind it (the one that currently has a 32 amp breaker) - can I take off the 13 amp plug and use the dedicate point? Am guessing the breaker would need to be changed?

No need to change the MCB as there is a 13a fuse in the oven plug.

DS

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back