Hardwire oven into plugged socket?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Our (very) old oven packed up a few days ago and we've got a new Bush RLWFOX coming to replace it tomorrow. As there is a cooker switch above the work surface I assumed the oven in there was hardwired. But when I took it out this afternoon there was a plug socket there.

The instructions for the Bush oven say it should be hardwired. But the manual states that Total power(W) is 2215-2635. From what I've read if it's under 3k then it should be fine to put a 13amp plug on the end and plug it into the socket.

Would I be right in thinking that, or am I missing something.

Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_20220903_122552.jpg
    IMG_20220903_122552.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG_20220903_122541.jpg
    IMG_20220903_122541.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 173
Sponsored Links
If it comes without a plug and instructions say to hardwire it, I would just do that.
In fact, I've always cut the plug and hardwired any oven I've ever fitted.

You say it is an oven (not a cooker) and draws less than 3kW

So it can use a plug and socket. Which is much easier to plug into than crawling under with a screwdriver.

You ought to find out if the socket being used is part of the general socket circuit, or has been put onto the outlet of a dedicated cooker radial.

A dedicated cooker radial usually has a large switch, like yours, and usually a (large) cooker connector in the wall that an electric cooker (drawing much more power) can be connected into.

It is not wrong to put a socket outlet on, if it is feeding a single oven, or a dual fuel cooker, that draws less than 3kW.

Argos have unthinkingly copied standard text into their document, including the line that says it has a flame failure device to turn off the gas. This is also untrue.

Last edited:
Argos have unthinkingly copied standard text into their document, including the line that says it has a flame failure device to turn off the gas. This is also untrue.
Once again (for the second time today) incorrect manufacturers instructions.

Sponsored Links
You say it is an oven (not a cooker) and draws less than 3kW

So it can use a plug and socket. Which is much easier to plug into than crawling under with a screwdriver.

You ought to find out if the socket being used is part of the general socket circuit, or has been put onto the outlet of a dedicated cooker radial.

A dedicated cooker radial usually has a large switch, like yours, and usually a (large) cooker connector in the wall that an electric cooker (drawing much more power) can be connected into.

It is not wrong to put a socket outlet on, if it is feeding a single oven, or a dual fuel cooker, that draws less than 3kW.

Thanks. The socket in the second picture I posted above leads up to the dedicated cooker switch/socket in my first pic.

Well it seems to be a bit more of an issue than I expected as the new oven has no lead attached to even put a plug onto!

Attachments

• IMG_20220904_095456.jpg
    IMG_20220904_095456.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 122

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back