timers on panel heaters

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
They are rated at 3200watts. They are rated to be OK, assuming the heaters are rated less than that.

Not sure how reliable a£3 timer from eBay might be if it has to switch a 3KW load several times a day, maybe you can ive us some feedback!

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
I've gone through a good few timers over the years, the only ones I've found which handle heavy loads and don't break are Smiths mechanical ones. I've had them over 20 years. They look like this...http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Smiths-Time-Guard-24-Hour-Plug-In-Timer-/400448217157?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item5d3c92e045
I've used many of those over the years and, and have a lot of the wire-in equivalents ('immersion heater timers') in service. They are, indeed, good and reliable, but I'm not sure that I've ever got 20 years out of them - sooner or later, the clock drive mechanism gives up, IME usually between 5 and 10 years continuous service. I've never had one suffer from problems of the switching contacts, even after many years of regularly switching fairly heavy loads.

Kind Regards, John

I've used many of those over the years and, and have a lot of the wire-in equivalents ('immersion heater timers') in service. They are, indeed, good and reliable, but I'm not sure that I've ever got 20 years out of them - sooner or later, the clock drive mechanism gives up, IME usually between 5 and 10 years continuous service. I've never had one suffer from problems of the switching contacts, even after many years of regularly switching fairly heavy loads.

Kind Regards, John
like most mechanical things a good clean can help it work better for longer ;)

like most mechanical things a good clean can help it work better for longer ;)
IME, the usual mode of failure is that one or more teeth on the plastic/nylon gears in the drive chain get worn or stripped off - something that cleaning probably won't do much to prevent.

Kind Regards, John

Thank for the info I think if I buy one it will be the smiths one as opposed to the cheap ones. The heaters are 3kw so they are just under the rated capacity of the cheap ones. Otherwise get up and turn the heater on 20 mins before we get up.
Thanks again.

Thank for the info I think if I buy one it will be the smiths one as opposed to the cheap ones. The heaters are 3kw so they are just under the rated capacity of the cheap ones.
I would certainly support that preference.
Otherwise get up and turn the heater on 20 mins before we get up.
Getting up 20 mins before you get up is an interesting concept :)

Kind Regards, John

OR the best of both worlds: get a digital timer (no mechanical bits to wear out), mounted onto an IP box, to control a 20A contactor (heavy duty relay switch rated higher than the contacts in a timer) which switches the heaters. Gland the flex outlets and you can plug the whole lot into a normal socket! ;) :rolleyes: :LOL:

Not sure about the concept of using portable heaters to provide permenant heat though. You really ought to have some fixed, wired-in, thermostatically- or centrally-controlled heaters. You could have all heaters on the same timer (and a massive IP box!) then. Just a thought. :LOL:

IP boxes are great. :rolleyes:

unless they are oil-filled radiators, or fully enclosed panels screwed to the wall, I am anxious about electric heaters on timeswitches. They may turn on unattended, when someone has carelessly thrown socks or bedding on or against them, and start a fire.

Hi,
They are not potable they are wall mounted and thermostat controlled. They just plug into the mains via a normal 3 pin plug.
Thanks again for the advice.

Hi,
They are not potable they are wall mounted and thermostat controlled. They just plug into the mains via a normal 3 pin plug.
Thanks again for the advice.
If the thermostat is one built into the heater, IME these are incredibly unreliable. All they pick up is the temperature of the heater itself. Once the heater goes off the stat cools and brings it back on. Garbage. All you are doing in adjusting this stat is varying the amount of time the heater spends on, it is not reacting to the room temperature at all - this is why most of these "thermostats" dont have temperature markings on them. This is why I also disagree with TRVs on radiators for the same reason. Zone valves and electronic stats are better (but more hassle I admit)

Hi,
Thanks i am aware they are not the best but its a rented house so we are stuck with them but in there defence they dont take long to warm the room up albeit its not very cold yet and they are not cheap to ru
Thanks again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back