Storage Heater Timer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It's getting to that time of year when my storage heaters need turned back on however one in the bedroom is giving off too much heat during the night.
The heater is on an ecomomy 7 circuit but i want to reduce is to maybe 3 hours during the night.

I want to put an additional timer on the bedroom heater spur which has a 15A fuse.

Would the following do the job?
http://uk.rs-online.com/web/search/searchBrowseAction.html?method=getProduct&R=5129594&cm_vc=av_uk

or this one
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SMITHS-TIMEGU...arden_Hearing_Cooling_Air&hash=item3f037986db

Many thanks

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
If you have an off peak supply for the storage heaters, which you almost certainly will, the timer will not have a permanent supply to keep the clock going.

Can't you turn the setting down, or fit a smaller heater?

yup its on a off peak circuit. Thats a good point i didnt consider.

The problem is that in order to get it the heater to give enough heat during the day it means the heater has to get very hot over night.

Can you get timers that run without a constant current? Failing that I guess i need to accept i need to buy a new storage heater with better heat insulation.

Thanks

You have limited options. The problem with storage rads is they need to get good and hot (at night) so they can dissipate their heat during the day.

If you want heat in your bedroom during the day then a storage rad is the better option. But a new one, the latest Dimplex range have much better heat in and out controls.

If you do not need heat in the bedroom during the day then get rid of it altogether and install a panel heater with a timer, connected to the 24-hour supply. You can then have heat at scheduled times and turn it on when you want to watch the rugby while tucked up in bed...

Sponsored Links
You can still use the timer - set the OFF to three hours after the ON, then it'll switch on when the power comes on and switch off three hours later. Of course you'll have to remember to reset it every evening so it works the same the next day ....

PJ

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back