swapping storage heater for panel heater

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys first time on here so hope you can advise. I have flat , all electric and am replacing lounge storage heater for modern item, no problems but in bedroom I want to remove storage heater and replace with panel heater. Question can I connect panel heater to the economy 10 existing socket in other words is the socket live for 24 hours even though I know its cheap rate during the night. would be easier to just ask is economy 10 circuit live for 24 hours? thanks

ps I know this work should be undertaken by electrician but just want advice first whether this will work

Sponsored Links
Usually all of the storage heaters are wired to a dedicated consumer unit separate from the rest of the property's electrical installation. As you suspect, this consumer unit only becomes live during the 'off peak' rate.

Have a look to see if you have two separate consumer units & look at the markings on the fuses/MCB's. to identify what is connected to it.

If the bedroom storage heater point is wired directly to the fuse/MCB, you may be able to have it moved to the normal domestic consumer unit if you have space available.

Starting a new circuit from a CU is notifiable under 'Part P', but you could argue that it's not a new circuit as it's already there albeit connected to another CU, not too sure really.

Usually all of the storage heaters are wired to a dedicated consumer unit separate from the rest of the property's electrical installation. As you suspect, this consumer unit only becomes live during the 'off peak' rate.

Have a look to see if you have two separate consumer units & look at the markings on the fuses/MCB's. to identify what is connected to it.

If the bedroom storage heater point is wired directly to the fuse/MCB, you may be able to have it moved to the normal domestic consumer unit if you have space available.

Starting a new circuit from a CU is notifiable under 'Part P', but you could argue that it's not a new circuit as it's already there albeit connected to another CU, not too sure really.

Before having this work done, or doing it yourself, consider that a panel heater instead of the storage heater will significantly increase your electricity bill, as the heater will be using the expensive daytime rate rather than the cheaper off peak rate.

Sponsored Links
ok thanks fellas, regarding the cost I have looked deeply into this, my 1 bed modern insulated flat has given me a £400 quarterly bill over the winter of which£300 was storage heat ! these things are a nightmare so my thinking is a panel heater thats on for maybe an hour in the eve to warm bedroom up will be cheaper than a 15 year old storage heater leaking out heat all day long and worse , the condensation probs this has caused I hope will dissapear also ! Am replacing lounge storage heater with dimplex fan model and hope this will be more economical!

Most new builds that have electric heating will have panel radaitors in the bedrooms. As you will know storage radiators are not the most controllable beasts and can take several days to cool completely, so in a sudden mild spell you can end up with the windows wide open to get rid of expensive heat you don't want but can't switch off.

Panel radiators can be as economical as storage heaters if you use them correctly. Select one with a timer that can be set to be on only when you need it, and in the morning set it to come on to catch the last hour of the low tariff. That way most of the rooms heat will be provided at the cheaper rate (Usually less than 1 third of the normal rate)

When you say you are replacing the lounge storage heater with a "dimplex fan model" I assume this will also be a storage heater, otherwise you will get a significant increase in running costs. If it is a storage radiator, don't expect much of a saving, storage radiators store heat. The energy you put in is the heat you get out whether the unit is old or new.

The best way to save energy is use the controls to conserve heat, turn the output down when you won't be at home and don't store more heat than necessary.

Yes the lounge heater is the new dimplex FZLi18 model fan assisted storage heater . Not sure if I have been sucked in by the sales talk but the brochure says these fan assisted models have twice the normal insulation so maybe they will hold heat for later in the day , we will see ! These storage heaters do not have their own CU but have their own fuses in the CU . I am still confused as to whether these economy circuits are still live 24 hours as I have read elswhere that some meters have a timer that switches from day rate to cheaper night rate . When spark comes to wire these up he can check the wires during the day and then I will know !

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back