Mini 3 pin plugs?

• Thread starter Deleted member 175178
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 175178

Hi, yesterday I saw what looked like a 1/2 scale 3 pin plug in a half scale 3 pin socket, I think it had square pins and the socket had a switch. Is this legal / safe? It looked exactly like a scaled down 13a plug and socket to match. Even the pins were small.

EDIT: They were powering lamps.

Sponsored Links
To be used for lighting it should to comply with BS 5733 but using other plugs and sockets shuttered plugs to BS 1363 (fuses to BS 1362), BS 546 (fuses, if any, to BS 646), BS 196, or BS EN 60309-2 is permitted. There are some extras like clock connectors and shaver outlets and of course unless fused separate from main lighting fuse will need to be able to take current available which in the main means using the 5A round pin type. The lighting types are great for ceiling mounting but not so sure if I would want one of these on my wall!
The BS 1363 (fuses to BS 1362) is made with some odd variations as seen here
220px-WG13_PICT6943.jpg
with both the earth pin rotated 90 degs or with groves to stop them being used in domestic sockets. Although they have the same protection as a BS 1363 they are not to BS 1363 so are not permitted under British regulations in the same way as most of the plugs and sockets used in Europe. But BS7671 is not law so you can use them even though it does not comply. The problem is the Part P regulation where an electrician to operate under the scheme of self certification is forced by the over seeing body to comply with BS7671 so he may not be allowed to fit non compliment sockets.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back