3 pin plug socket for cooker?

This switch is (probably) an MCB. It will have a rating (in Amps) marked on it. Probably marked 32 or B32. What does it say, and, does it turn off that socket?

Sponsored Links
The switchbox in the cloakroom turns off the cooker entirely.

The cabinets backs are in place and fitted solid. I'd have to demolish half the kitchen to get to there! I'm certain no other boxes are there. In fact the woman told me "that 3 pin one is the plug for a cooker".

I've just dismantled my cooker from its current location and there are 3 wires, exactly the same thickness and type in the rear of the 3 pin socket at the new location.

It seems odd that there is no separate hole for an earth connector though, like there are for live & neutral. Would it be ok to double Earth up seeing as it's slightly thinner?

It looks like it's ready to plug straight in (a perfect match. Although I can't imagine wiring 10mil cable up to a plug...

No!!

You can't connect any appliance with a rating >13A into a socket outlet. You must post some pics - we're getting nowhere fast!

zombiegod said:
The switchbox in the cloakroom turns off the cooker entirely.
I've just dismantled my cooker from its current location and there are 3 wires, exactly the same thickness and type in the rear of the 3 pin socket at the new location.

It sounds to me like you may have a 32A cooker circuit. If the house is newly built to a good standard then it will be wired in 6mm. If you have a look at the size of the wires behind a light switch; a socket; and the cooker socket, you should be able to see how the wires are increasingly bigger on the higher-rated circuits. If you can get to a hardware shop and buy the smallest possible length of 6mm cable (it might be a metre, but you may find a co-operative assistant will let you have an inch as a free sample) you can compare it to the size of the cable in your outlet and see if it is the same.

It is not unusual for people with a gas cooker, or a dual-fuel cooker, both of which only need a 13A plug, to convert a cooker outlet plate into a socket.

You can get a new cooker outlet plate for a few pounds, and fit this in place of the existing 3-pin socket. You will find it has very big terminals inside and can be connected without the white plastic cover being fitted (you put the cover on afterwards to safely cover the connections).

p2035240_l.jpg

It is absolutely essential for this that the cooker circuit has its own dedicated 32A MCB, nothing to do with the other sockets, and that it is wired in 6mm cable.

If you are not sure about any of this you should be able to get a local electrician to check and connect it for his minimum charge.

Sponsored Links
The rear of the 3pin socket is wired up using 'very thick' cable about 5 strands per colour. Exactly the same thickness & type as I'm currently using to power my existing cooker.

It's made up of 5 strands about a millimetre in diameter per colour 'cept for the Earth which is thick in itself.

I took the box off the wall in my old house and it looks more or less an identical setup. If a little more basic.

I think the way to go is to buy a new plate, as the old one is pretty grotty and fragile.

Looks like it's a straight run through with each colour.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back