cooker to 13amp plug

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
moved into a council house where the 32amp cooker switch is on the wall to one side of cooker opening which leads to a 3 pin socket behind where the cooker is going. My question is would it be ok to wire a 13amp plug to the cable thats comes from the cooker to the 3 pin socket. As the socket is on the 32amp circuit. Cooker specs :-
Installation

Electrical Connection 9.8 KW

Fuse Rating 32 amps

Minimum Distance To Cooker Hood 65 cm

Power Requirements Needs Hard Wiring By Electrically Trained Engineer

Requires Electrically Trained Engineer Yes To Hardwire (Cable Not Included)

Sponsored Links
wire a 13amp plug to the cable

Manufacturer said:
Fuse Rating 32 amps

You can't fit a 32 amp fuse into a 13 amp plug so the obvious answer is that you cannot use a plug

Manufacturer said:
Power Requirements Needs Hard Wiring

Hard wiring means it is not wired via a plug and socket.

So you need to get an electrician to connect the cooker to the wall outlet ( the cooker switch ) with the correct type of cable.

So if I understand correctly:
1) You have purchased a new oven rated at 9.8kW specifying a 32A protective device?
2) You have an existing set up that consists of a 32A rated cooker isolator/switch, which has a downstream 13A socket outlet. (NB: maximum demand of 3kW for 13A plug)?
3) And you would like to know if it is suitable to put a 9.8kW oven on a 3kW plug?

No you cant wire this into a 3 pin domestic plug as they are not rated for 32a. Even if you did wire it in you wouldn't get a 32a fuse to fit it. It might be the council or previous tenant changed the standard cooker connection socket to a 3pin plug socket so you might be able to get that changed over BUT you need to see if the cable is suitable for 32a. Your council might be willing to change this over if you explain there's no suitable cooker connection. At least they will send out an electrician who can check the suitability of the cable.

On your wall you have something like this?
mpnSiCoUceLrAjR7Wz1Tc8w.jpg

And then just a normal plug socket behind the cooker?

If you have the above switch its usually common to have one of these installed behind the cooker for hard wiring cookers over 13a
AA45COP.JPG

Sponsored Links
Even if factoring in diversity to the demand given.
It would still exceed the capacity of a 13A supply, so I would stick to the recommendations of the manufacturer.
I would advise that the cable size of the circuit was checked prior to changing any characteristics of it, to connect your new oven.

Thanks for all the help got the council coming round to check things out for me.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back