Proper way to strip flex outer sheath?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is there a tool to strip the outer sheath off flex cable? With Cat5 cable you get a tool which you 'clamp' onto the cable and then twirl through 360 deg. It does a great job of removing the outer and leaving the inners untouched.

I have simple strippers with an adjustable v-notch and so-called 'automatic' wire strippers but both are hopeless for the outer on flex.

I don't like running a Stanley knife round flex as invariably I nick an inner as they are so close to the surface.

Thanks,

Robert

Sponsored Links
mrscalex said:
Is there a tool to strip the outer sheath off flex cable? With Cat5 cable you get a tool which you 'clamp' onto the cable and then twirl through 360 deg. It does a great job of removing the outer and leaving the inners untouched.

I have simple strippers with an adjustable v-notch and so-called 'automatic' wire strippers but both are hopeless for the outer on flex.

I don't like running a Stanley knife round flex as invariably I nick an inner as they are so close to the surface.

Thanks,

Robert

either get a stripping tool which has a blade and cuts round the cable but is limited to depth, or use sidecutters, carefully cuttin round the flex

I find a retractable blade Stanley, with a sharp blade, ideal.

With the blade advanced by a small amount, run it down the flat sides of the sheath in line with the cpc. It will cut through it enough so that you can tear it apart with your fingers. Don't be tempted to use the cpc to rip through it as it will stress it.

Sponsored Links
Sometimes an unzipping action is safer - it reduces the risk of nicked cores. Flay ends and pull apart. Only suitable for thinner flexes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back