Piled foundation with block and beam floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

It seems i'm trying for the record of the longest time taken to do an extension! I am hitting so many problems!

After much advice & discussion with several structural engineers and the recommendation of the building officer, I am having the foundations for my two storey extension piled (even though two builders and one structural engineer said raft). I have the piling guy confirmed and he's getting the piling calcs/design done so I can dig the trenches. He has been really helpful although he only does the piling so whilst he has given me lots of info, I need to clarify a couple of things.

He said that I should use a block and beam or suspended concrete floor and not a ground bearing slab. I can see the logic here; the ground isn't good enough, hence the piles, so the oversite isn't likely good enough to bear a slab!

Is he correct in saying it needs a suspended floor and not to use a ground bearing slab?

If i use block and beam with a 150mm air gap that means 300mm of ground needs digging out at the side of the house where the extension abuts, would this cause issues to the house?

The beams sit on a DPC which is going to be 150-225mm below ground level, is that odd?

Is the following diagram right or am i missing something?

block beam text.jpg

Cheers in advance!

Sponsored Links
Is he correct in saying it needs a suspended floor and not to use a ground bearing slab? Yes

If i use block and beam with a 150mm air gap that means 300mm of ground needs digging out at the side of the house where the extension abuts, would this cause issues to the house? No

The beams sit on a DPC which is going to be 150-225mm below ground level, is that odd? No need for dpc under beams AFAIK

Is the following diagram right or am i missing something? Yes, its about right

Read more: https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/piled-foundation-with-block-and-beam-floor.504251/#ixzz5IKG3c3IS

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back