Pilot light and general gas consumption

Thats bit over £2000 pa depending on your tariff. That makes your pilot light over 10% of your consumption.

I dont think we should rerun your last long postings!

As I recall there were serious issues with the insulation on your house.

Any expenditure would probably be best used reducing the heat loss first.

Then address the boiler efficiency.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Thats bit over £2000 pa depending on your tariff. That makes your pilot light over 10% of your consumption.

I dont think we should rerun your last long postings!

As I recall there were serious issues with the insulation on your house.

Any expenditure would probably be best used reducing the heat loss first.

Then address the boiler efficiency.

Tony

Tony

I wouldn't say serious issues....loft fully insulated, draughtproofing round all windows and doors. I've even got chimney balloons in the fireplaces! True, I do have 80% crittals though unfortunately.

Replacing the windows would be seriously expensive (I was quoted £2k just for the dining room windows and estimate every window would cost about £10-12k.

Do you think, particularly given the (what seems to be) extremely high gas consumption of the boiler, that £2k would be better spent on windows?
Remember as well that the boiler is costing loads just to provide me with hot water.

Thanks

One hour in and no movement in the meter:

Pilot light now lit and CH/HW both off!

OK...half an hour in and the clock face-type dial (on the right) has now rotated 180 degs and is pointing at the '.1' position (i.e. the first mark after the 12 o'clock position).

Pic added for completeness:

Can anyone tell me how the clock face dial relates to the numbered dials?

ok..that's one hour give or take a few mins and the clock face dial has made just over one complete rotation from just keeping the pilot light going. Can I calculate consumption and cost based on that stat?
Thanks

OK...half an hour in and the clock face-type dial (on the right) has now rotated 180 degs and is pointing at the '.1' position (i.e. the first mark after the 12 o'clock position).

Can anyone tell me how the clock face dial relates to the numbered dials?
So there is no leakage, which is very good. ;)

The dial rotates once for each cubic feet of gas, so it has used 1.1-0.55 cubic feet = 0.55 ft³ in half an hour or 26.4 ft³ per day. this is equal to 0.264 units of gas (a unit is 100ft³) or 3028kWH per year, which is close to your figure of 4589, as the odometer may only click over in whole numbers.

The red dial has to rotate ten times for the red number to change by one digit.

Your boiler is certainly wasting a lot of gas and as it is seriously oversized a replacement may be worthwhile. Have a look at the Broag-Remeha range of System or Heating boilers.

Sponsored Links
Good news on the leak!

Many thanks for your thoughts on this. I'm on a limited budget for the time being and not sure if it's best spent on replacing some of my crittall windows or going for a more efficient boiler.

Or put it all on the lottery and pray!

Internal secondary glazing is relatively cheap!

Loft insulation should be at least 150 mm as a start.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back