Pilot light on my boiler stays on when heating is off

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I own a Baxi Solo boiler and have noticed recently two problems:
1. The pilot light is constantly on even when I have turned the heating off
2. When the heating is on, the boiler makes a high pitched whilsting sound that gets louder the longer the heating is on but stops when the boiler ignites.

Any ideas as to what is causing these problems and how to rectify would be appreciated

Sponsored Links
You don't say which version of the Solo you have but I strongly suspect your first problem isn't a problem, it's always done this, you just haven't noticed it before.

The second problem needs a more detailed description I think. When exactly does it occur, does it happen after the boiler first lights in a morning and heats up, or does it do it when the boiler is cold as well?

Baxi Solo's with the large square flue terminal have permanent pilots.
Your point 2 is contradicting itself. :?:

Thanks for your responses. It is a Baxi Solo RS 2 boiler. Perhaps I was just ignorant to the pilot light being on.
Sorry if the second point seems contradictory but to explain - the whistling only begins after the boiler has been on for a long period of time but it ceases temporarily when the boiler is actively burning gas, i.e. it only whistles when the hot water is pumping through the boiler system. Hope that makes more sense!

Sponsored Links
Normally, boilers of this type only make noises when the main burner is on. If I follow you correctly, the noise happens after the main burner has shut down upon reaching temp, and returns when the burner relights. The only way to diagnose your problem is to be in front of the boiler when this occurs.
Burner on = no noise
Burner off= noise :?: :confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back