Pin hole leaks on pipe in roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there all and thanks in advance.
I have pinhole leaks in a copper pipe in the loft. The pipe that feeds to header tank (old school, huh?)

Am i able to chop out the damaged (and nearby) area.
And replace with poly pipe.

So it will be copper to poly join poly pipe for 1foot to poly join copper

Ie. Can i repair with out soldering.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Hi Alex, not really old school, lots of new installations use this setup. Is it the heating cold water storage cistern feed or the hot water? Is it on the supply feed? If yes, then you can use polypipe, but if it’s just soldering you don’t want to carry out, you could always opt for copper and compression fittings.

Just be mindful, if it’s pin-holed, there’s a chance it could appear somewhere else on the pipe.

Upon closer inspection i belive it to actually be the expansion overflow from the top of the hot water tank to the header tank.

I wouldn't of thought this pipe is really pressured much. Id imagine a trickle. Interesting.

Maybe there is a problem in the system?

I spose my new question would be is poly pipe okay for higher temps??

It’s probably ok, but wouldn’t recommend it. Best using copper.

Sponsored Links
Decided to use compresion fittings with copper pipes.

I imagine theres a large number of DIYers who go straight for poly, not realising they can just use compresion, with olives and ptfe, just as easyer.

Will be off to the local diy shop in the morning.

Decided to replace the pipe from the joint BEFORE the leek (including the elbow itsself) up to a good 4foot. (Cut out all potential problematic area)

Then rejoin to existing with a compression joint coupler.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back