Pine sleepers for coffee table rather than oak

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all. Found quite a lot of detail about using oak sleepers as a coffee table and the process involved, but I was wondering if anyone had had much experience using Pine sleepers, such as the ones available from Wickes or other DIY stores. Not just due to weight /cost but I'd heard they don't split as heavily as oak sleepers do.

I've created a fake lintel on our fireplace, which is made of Oak, but if I finished them both with a nice wax, would they look ok or would there be a definite difference between the finish?

Any thoughts would be great, thanks!

Sponsored Links
well it was just that would a pine table and an oak lintel look ok in the same room - nothing wrong with pine obviously, but not really used the 2 woods together before. but guess if there will be an obvious difference between the 2 after being sealed then it may be better to stick with oak.

A coffee table made of sleepers? Who will help you move it aside when you want to hoover the floor?

Sponsored Links
The cheap sleepers you get in DIY stores will be preservative treated, don't know if this matters to you or not.

As said, you can stain them to a darker colour, but pine will look like pine.

As they will be relatively fast grown pine, likely boxed heart, they will split a fair bit.

I would try to sort one where the pith is slightly more to one face than the other, the cut a grove to that face to the depth of the pith, creating a split on purpose.

I assume you will be leaving the sleepers to dry somewhere first?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back