any way to make pine close to oak in colour?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi We have a 1930's house and I am decorating my bedroom. We have the original window cill which have been poorly painted in the past and I have stripped it. As expected it is pine although it seems to be of a fractionly darker and stronger quality stuff than you get at DIY places.

I ripped off the old damaged skirting boards and want to put light oak (I think it is called American Oak but not sure) skirtings in so I would like the window cill to match as much as possible. I will probably use a clear polyurathane coating on the skirtings to keep it looking the colour it comes and protect it. I definitely need to protect the window cill as my wife gets everywhere with her make up.

I know the cill will still look like pine on close inspection but if I could just get it looking similar to the oak it would be nice, any tips?

I know sometimes when I am out and you see a restaurant with light Oak beams they will have some pine too but you hardly notice the fact that it is pine as the colour is very close, so I wonder what they did when they dealt with the finishes.

Any tips or help appreciated.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back