Pinhole leaks in Halstead Quattro Combi

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 1994 LPG Halstead Quattro Combi.

I have just replaced the diverter valve diaphragm, unseizing and greasing the rest of the diverter valve. When I put it together, I created two pinhole leaks in the 15mm DHW inlet pipe close to the mount which sprayed water all over the electrics as soon as I opened up the water supply.

For a short term fix, I have cleaned up the pipe with emery and spread some epoxy putty over the holes, which I shall reinforce with some self-vulcanising rubber hose repair when it has gone off.

All the pipework inside has tell-tale corrosion marks, and I think these are not the first pinholes that will develop.

Two of the pipes also have kinks (the same DHW inlet and the 22mm heating return to pump), and they need to be replaced. It may point to internal corrosion weakening the pipes' structure.

How do I identify the correct internal pipework for ordering replacements?

For example 500605 is listed as DHW high pressure pipe, but I don't know if it has the mount and the compression nuts. Other bits have mounts for sensors, and some are quite involved bits of pipework. I cannot find any pictures against part no., and the manual is not helping.

Sponsored Links
16 years is getting on a bit m8,time for a replacement maybe?

i was going to say that originally but thought i would get bg abuse. but yeah you've done very well for a halstead

Sponsored Links
Well, I can't afford a new boiler, and it's getting colder outside. I really don't know how everyone can afford new boilers every 6 years, unless everyone is a yuppie.

I tried the epoxy putty, but tried it before it was fully set and it sprung a leak again.

So I took the whole pipe off, poured in some anti-leak inside, and another ring of epoxy putty outside, and then put it on the woodburner to set harder.

Well, I can't afford a new boiler, and it's getting colder outside. I really don't know how everyone can afford new boilers every 6 years, unless everyone is a yuppie.

I tried the epoxy putty, but tried it before it was fully set and it sprung a leak again.

So I took the whole pipe off, poured in some anti-leak inside, and another ring of epoxy putty outside, and then put it on the woodburner to set harder.

have you tried chemical metal ?

to be fair, by your own admision, the boiler is 16 years old. not bad going for a cheap boiler. plus if the copper is corroding, it may be that you have some underlying issues with your system. maybe its time to pony up and have your heating cleaned , chemicaly proteced and a new boiler put on.

if you cant afford it now, start saving and buy some fan heaters.

:)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back