Pipe hammer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are nearly at the end of our tether because of pipe hammer. It can happen at any time of the day or night, but usually at night, and at it's worst it sounds like my grandson, aged 3, banging on a drum in the bathroom!! 2 plumbers and the water board have not been able to come up with any answers. We have tried turning the water pressure down at the stop tap, but it makes no difference. Would a pressure reducing valve fitted at the stop tap help? The water board suggested fitting a new plastic stop tap. Any suggestions please? We are desperate!

Sponsored Links
What pressure have you got?

Have you checked all the ball valves/fill valves in the house?

When does it happen any particular taps etc causing it?

The man from the water board measured the pressure at 8 bar. No particular tap causes the problem although we do sometimes get a loud whistling noise from the bathroom taps and a loud whining from the upstairs toilet flushing .(could that be a valve problem?) The pipe hammer or knocking often occurs in the night when no-one is opening a tap or flushing the toilet.

The pipe hammer or knocking often occurs in the night when no-one is opening a tap or flushing the toilet.

When the mains pressure goes up because no-one in the neighbourhood is opening taps or flushing toilets.

8 bar is 2 or 3 times adequate and it will probably be higher overnight.

You can also get water hammer from cistern float valves opening and closing as ripples pass under the float.

Sponsored Links
are you sure that it is water hammer, a TRV for a radiator fitted in the wrong direction can sound the exact same if you leave the heating on at night, easiest way is to turn the main stop cock off to your house before you go to bed and see if the noise is still there

If we turn the stop cock off at night (which we have to do frequently as I run a bed and breakfast here) the noise stops completely. What does that tell you - I've not a clue, as you might have already guessed! We have had TRVs on some rads for many years, but this is a relatively recent problem. We shall start putting all your advice into action and hope that we can eliminate the problem.Thanks to everyone who has posted here!! I shall post the results as we do this work!

If turning the stop cock off stops the noise then it is water hammer and nothing to do with the TRVs they can just sound similar, D Cawkwells answer is correct and will sort you out, shouldnt be too expensive, 8 Bar is very excessive for domestic appliances 3.5 Bar is the maximum recommended so get a pressure reducing valve and expansion vessel installed but try if possible to get them installed as near as possible to your stop cock

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back