Pipe insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
To what extent should I insulate internal copper pipework for central heating and hot/cold water pipes? Should everything be insulated all the way through?

Sponsored Links
Well worth insulating heating pipes and hot and cold in the ground floor void, not so important where the runs are in habitable areas (you are at least heating the house) but a good idea on the heating pipes especially if you have smart TRVs. It's also worth insulating the dhw pipework throughout- hot will be hotter when it gets to the taps & cold won't be warmed as much by the insulated hot pipes. If you get problems with condensation on bare cold pipes then insulate them, otherwise I wouldn't bother (outside floor voids as earlier)

Insulate everything.

The idea to not insulate everything stems from old practice where heating was cheap and boilers were oversized and houses were inefficient.

Insulation is 50p/meter.

Sponsored Links
Hit pipes insulated. Cold left bare. Is there Nything else I need to consider before I close up?

20220220_164311.jpg
20220220_164329.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back