sleeving pipework query

A

angelf

Can copper pipework be sleeved through a wall using pipe insulation or does it have to be copper ?

Sponsored Links
A copper pipe inside a copper pipe would have very little insulation.

but can the pipe insulation be used as a method a sleeving a copper pipe through a wall?

i would say not a good idea for water, and not allowed at all for gas, as a gas sleeve needs to convey leaking gas out of the wall, i think a sleeve should be continous round the pipe to protect it fully

Sponsored Links
Most water pipe's , in domestic that one come's across are not sleeved !!
depend's why you are sleeving it , would it be relevant to fire reg's ect ect .????? other than that can't see it would matter if u lagged it , in a domestic situation ???? gas of any type , or a fuel conveying pipe is a different thing ????

It Is recommended that any pipe which passes through an area which may become subject to structural movement that it be sleeved(through Walls etc).bs6700 also recommends this for hot and cold water services,gas is a must.

As a point of note,the annular space for small bore pipes is 3mm,this means that you can sleeve a 15 with 22mm pipe,but you can't sleeve a 22 with 28mm pipe.not that people bother. The annular space increases as you go up the pipe size table.

As a matter of interest , & if I remember correctly ??? u are able to get plastic coated 10 mm copper , some use to come with what was refered to as having interslice's formed in the plastic coating , this was or is ???? deemed to be suffiecent as a sleeve , for nat gas ???

It still needs sleeving.
It was made to provide insulation for the pipe when buried in screeds.

transam";p=" said:
As a matter of interest , & if I remember correctly ??? u are able to get plastic coated 10 mm copper , some use to come with what was refered to as having interslice's formed in the plastic coating , this was or is ???? deemed to be suffiecent as a sleeve , for nat gas ???

are you refering to kuterlex,yellow coat for gas, white
coat for oil.

It's been removed that the sleeve has to be the same material
as the pipe so you could use an abs,iron,etc sleeve

it is a gas pipe going through an outside wall 15mm so I will sleeve it with a 22mm piece of copper. Just curious as to why it could not be sleeved with lagging instead thats all.

transam";p=" said:

are you refering to kuterlex,yellow coat for gas, white
coat for oil.

It's been removed that the sleeve has to be the same material
as the pipe so you could use an abs,iron,etc sleeve

I seem to rermember in the early Corgi Edusafe booklet's a statement that said if the pipe ( would be 10mm copper) was plasic coated & had what was refered to as interslice's , meaning if u looked down the bore there was an air gap caused by ribbing ??? in the plastic u did not need to sleeve the pipe , also there was or is a dipensation allowed for running , a gas pipe in a cavity wall Reg 19 I think for a dfe , as this pipe has to be sleeved , this plastic coated pipe I mention could be used ???

Incidentally I will post data stick to u shortly !!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back