Pipe Leak on elbow

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

Apologies in advance if this has been answered previously. I'm in a bit of an urgent pickle with a copper pipe joint that was recently installed along with a whole central heating system. I can't get hold of the engineer to a fix a failed soldered joint and so am seeking some trusted help from you guys please.

The leak relates to the pipe that feeds a towel radiator in the bathroom and is located on a bend I think is called an elbow ?

See pictures please :

COPPER_PIPE_LEAK_ON_ELBOW_01.jpg
COPPER_PIPE_LEAK_ON_ELBOW_02.jpg
COPPER_PIPE_LEAK_ON_ELBOW_03.jpg
COPPER_PIPE_LEAK_ON_ELBOW_01.jpg

COPPER_PIPE_LEAK_ON_ELBOW_02.jpg

COPPER_PIPE_LEAK_ON_ELBOW_03.jpg

The leak is at Point ( C )

Please pardon the gunk that has been applied. It was late at night when we spotted water seeping through the ceiling and on inspection of under the floorboards found this area of pipe to be the problem and specifically the elbow joint at ( C ). And so I attempted to seal the leak for the night with this 'stop leak silicone' type paste called 'FERNOX LS-X LEAK SEALER'.

It didn't work needless to say.

Without lifting a whole load of other floorboards I can't really find where the pipe leads to in order to turn off the water to it and don't really want to turn off the mains. I'm unsure how having the water turned off will affect the central heating combi boiler.

So...

Can I...

1) Freeze point ( A ) with a cold spray ? to stop the water getting to point ( C )
(this would be to temporarily stop water flow in order to fix the leak at point ( C ).

2) Then turn the screw at point ( B ). Will that stop water coming back down from the radiator to point (C ) ?

3) With water then out of the elbow at point ( C ), I could then redo the solder of the joint ?

I hope that makes sense. What I said, not my plan.
Likely it makes no sense but that's why I need some advice.

Trying to get hold of a plumber right now I'm finding very hard.

Thank's - any advice much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Assuming it’s a combi. Turn off the valve feeding the towel rail , crack the nut with the boiler off to release the pressure the cut the pipe fit a valve in like then repair leak and refill

Thank's cross thread.

That doesn't make much sense to me though. As in, I really don't understand what you mean.

Can you explain it like I'm 5 please and then I will make decision on if this can be something I can do or not.

Thanks again

Sponsored Links
Do you know how to solder ,do you have Equipment and fittings to make a repair ?
If not the easiest thing to do would be to drain central heating ,cut pipe and fit a push fit stop end. Turn off the isolation valve below the rad ,and re fill the system. That will do until a plumber can visit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back