copper pipe elbow leaking, help .

Sponsored Links
^ sorry but i disagree. Heating it up, the existing solder will also run - Therefore will seal fine. (unless the fitting is cracked or damaged). :rolleyes:

Also yorkshire fittings sometimes need a little extra solder too. Especialy as this sounds as though it's his first time at soldering.

To be fair its not worth it just adding it and expecting the joint to seal. Yeah the solder may run again but the capilary action will be restricted as there is no flux to displace. For the effort you may as well do it properly and clean the joint up properly.

hello, i asked the neighbour for some advice(knowing he knows about such things ;) )and he offered to do it last night straight after work.I drained the system and he heated up the old elbow and it came away no problem.He then cleaned it and added solder to the inner end and connected it up and then reheated and added more solder around the rim and bobs your uncle.Turned water back on and its fine .He made it look quite easy ,i think i will invest in a torch etc and do some practising (in the garden at first though ;) ).He brought some metal plates with him and put it in front of the skirting board ,i see why now :D .Thanks everyone for your advice,much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Finally which ever gas he uses, he's gonna need the water out the pipe :([/quote]

if you use the yellow rothenberger bottle, (mapp) gas, if there is a bit of water left in the pipe, you still get enough heat for the solder to run, i use it all the time, if there is any possibillity of water in pipes. obviosly if the pipe is full of water it wont work, but a little bit is fine

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back