Leak! Street elbow and compression fittings!

Sponsored Links
But would you have used an Endex n12s in the first place, knowing the tail is only just long enough. ;)

The N12S is nowhere near long enough. The YP12S is only just long enough, but I wouldn't have used either of them (as I've already said).

But we don't know whether he's using Yorkshire fittings or some hideous Chinese variant.

It's a Yorkshire fitting.

I'll use the jointing compound before trying anything else.

Sponsored Links
It's a Yorkshire fitting with a solder ring on one end (which I soldered ok and it doesn't leak) and it's flush on the other end, which is the end I'm having problems with, becuase when I insert this into a compression joint it leaks.

So what I'll do now is, remove the PTFE tape from the threads, use jointing compound on the olive and the thread and check for leaks? - Sound OK softus?

So what I'll do now is, remove the PTFE tape from the threads, use jointing compound on the olive and the thread and check for leaks? - Sound OK softus?
Er, if you asked doitall then he'd say yes, but I don't do jointing paste.

If you want to do it another way, then assemble the fitting and apply enough force to lightly crimp the olive onto the street elbow, then disassemble, then wrap some PTFE tape on the wet side of the olive and reassemble.

Or just put some paste on the olive, doit up and forget it :LOL:

Dear doitall and softus - You're both great and I greatly appreciate your help.

I'd prefer to do it Softus' way as I already have the tape - however, once slightly tightened I don't really want to untighten the nut and apply tape to the olive as the nut won't go back far enough due to the bend.....therefore, I'm tempted by doitall's suggestion. Just one thing and please excuse my ignorance, but is 'paste' the same as 'jointing compound' ?!

Dear doitall and softus - You're both great and I greatly appreciate your help.

I'd prefer to do it Softus' way as I already have the tape - however, once slightly tightened I don't really want to untighten the nut and apply tape to the olive as the nut won't go back far enough due to the bend.....therefore, I'm tempted by doitall's suggestion. Just one thing and please excuse my ignorance, but is 'paste' the same as 'jointing compound' ?!

I know the nut won't go back far enough :rolleyes: that is the problem in the first place.

Yes paste and compound is the same

once slightly tightened I don't really want to untighten the nut and apply tape to the olive as the nut won't go back far enough due to the bend.
You can still get tape on if you're careful. I can do it, therefore you can do it.

You said you wouldn't use a street elbow in a compression fitting. ;)
'Tis true. But it doesn't stop me coming across abortions of pipework created by other people.

And don't you just want to rip the lot out and start again :LOL: If you and I did work like some of it they would be threatening and calling us all sorts of Cowboys

And don't you just want to rip the lot out and start again
Abso-blooming-lutely.

But sometimes it's an itch that can't be scratched, e.g. when replacing a little old tap for a little old lady. You know how it goes, John. :(

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back