What is best practice to connect a 3/4" female-to-male thread

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am fitting a 15mm x 3/4'' Compression Female Iron Coupling adapter:

Capture.PNG

The 15mm compression end is easy, but what's the best practice for fitting the 3/4" female-to-male thread? There is no compression feature, just interlocking threads. Should I use a 3/4" washer? Just wrap with a lot of PTFE? Jointing paste?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
1. If the male thread is a taper thread, wrapping with PTFE tape (in the direction of tightening) should suffice. If its a loose fit (will go on all the way with very little effort using only the fingers) I'd start with 15 wraps of tape. If its a bit tighter, start with 10 wraps.
2. If the male thread is parallel take the same approach, but roughen up the male thread with a file and use Loctite 55 instead of PTFE.
3. In the unlikely event there is a clean square shoulder at the base of the male thread, and the female fitting screws on far enough, you could use a fibre washer between the two.

There are other ways of doing it, using Loctite 577, Fernox LS1, Slictite, but I don't use them so can't comment.

Of the three outlined above, my preference would be for number 3, if the fittings permit is. Whatever you do, test the joint while it is still accessible.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back