Fitting an Expansion Vessel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good Afternoon

I would be grateful for some advice.

I need to fit an additional external expansion vessel to my CH system.

The connection at the bottom of the vessel is 3/4" male iron.

I intend to use a 15mm compression x 3/4" female iron fitting.

Should a fibre washer ( suitable for a central heating application ) be fitted in the base of the female iron fitting or would PTFE tape on the threads suffice to ensure a water tight seal ?

Many thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Depends whether it's a taper or a parallel thread. Washer for parallel, tape for taper.

Ahh I see ..... it is an Altecnic ERES 12L vessel - can anyone advise are these parallel or tapered ?

Sponsored Links
Since the device appears to have a parallel male thread with a properly formed end (as against a rough-as-a-badger's cast end) and if your socket fitting has a machined bottom then a fibre washer would be the correct seal to use. On parallel threads the intent of the thread is to provide mechanical security rather than sealing. That model is specified as having a G3/4 thread which is 3/4" BSPP (British Standard Pipe Parallel) "Iron" fittings is a commonly used American term relating to NPT fittings. But that's the engineer in me !

Last edited:
Its not intended to be a professional job!

So looking like a DIY bodge and only lasting a shorter life span before it spews out 80 litres of water onto the floor is all that can be expected.

But what more would anyone expect from a DIY job?

Tony

Hey Madrab , do you know the difference between the flexi posted above and the type used on heating systems?

I usually use these, comes with the washer installed you just tighten it up onto the male thread and then connect the other end on the return pipework near the boiler, they come in different lengths so just pick where you are installing the EV and see what length is best for you.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/flexible-tap-connector-15mm-x-3-4-x-500mm/96407
Not suitable for central heating.;)
Really ?? funny that the manufacturer states that it is and the seller sells it as such but who cares about that when you know different, what do the majority of manufacturers with internal expansion vessels use as communication hoses ?

I usually use these, comes with the washer installed you just tighten it up onto the male thread and then connect the other end on the return pipework near the boiler, they come in different lengths so just pick where you are installing the EV and see what length is best for you.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/flexible-tap-connector-15mm-x-3-4-x-500mm/96407

I bet that looks neat and professional. R A B A !!
It does actually if you select the correct hose and the correct length, most designed external expansion vessels use braided flexis as do most internal expansion vessels , just use the correct hose and the correct length

Its not intended to be a professional job!

So looking like a DIY bodge and only lasting a shorter life span before it spews out 80 litres of water onto the floor is all that can be expected.

But what more would anyone expect from a DIY job?

Tony
As usual Tony you are talking absolute shoite where does the figure of 80 L come from ????

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back