Expansion vessel kit male connector appears to be very slightly less than 15mm

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I just fitted a wall mounted 25L expansion vessel to the heating circuit of an oil fired combi-boiler.

The machined 15mm male inlet connector on the expansion vessel kit is connected to a female 15mm compression nut with olive and plenty of PTFE tape. The female compression join comes from the boiler. I put as much PTFE tape on he olive as I could get on it.

This was all fitted last week, and I managed to get the compression nut tight, and the join leak free at operating pressure, without any problems then.

The day before yesterday I noticed the compression nut had started to slide off the expansion vessel male fitting. It was clear this had happened because a ring of the white PTFE tape had been left behind in the original seating position. I was able to wiggle the compression fitting up and down slightly, which had not been possible when I had fitted it days before. I think I got to it just before it blew off.

It can't blow off now because of the cable ties in place, but it's dripping a bit.

I think the male inlet to the expansion vessel is slightly less than 15mm. If so, and it's faulty, I'd rather just fix it if a permanent fix is possible.

Any ideas?

20171011_174835.jpg

Sponsored Links
The machined 15mm male inlet connector on the expansion vessel kit is connected to a female 15mm compression nut with olive and plenty of PTFE tape. The female compression join comes from the boiler. I put as much PTFE tape on he olive as I could get on it.

What's the reason for the PTFE over the olive? Did you try without it first?

I suspect you've put enough on that you've not actually compressed the olive into the fitting. There shouldn't be any need for PTFE.

Bit of paste... hand tight... then a ‘nip’ or two... pressurise... check... another nip if necessary... heat up system & pipework... check again whilst hot... and nip again if necessary... do not graunch (over tighten)... it’s a touchy-feely thing :)

Sponsored Links
Teflon tape creeps, just like a snail, that's why it's banned in most industrial control systems.
Use too much, put it under pressure and it'll (sooner or later) creep out of a joint
When first produced it was marketed on the basis that it was a thread lubricant, not a thread sealer.
Somewhere in the depths of history, less than wary individuals decided to use it as a sealant and from there the myth has grown.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back