Pipe size for new supply - 25mm or 32mm?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am about to build a new house and I will need to run a water supply pipe about 140 metres (uphill) from the water main at the bottom of the hill to the house. There is a house next door to the building plot and the guy there reckons that he gets about 3 bar from his supply pipe that runs a similar route.

My question is, should I run the supply pipe in 25mm or 32mm? The local utility (Scottish Water) specifies a minimum of 25mm. The house will be a decent size with several bathrooms, all fed from mains cold and an unvented hot water system.

Given the cost of digging up the field etc, the additional cost of 32mm over 25mm is very small. Are there any disadvantages in going for the larger size?

Thanks
AA

Sponsored Links
definately go 32mm, you'll regret it if you don't!

Sponsored Links
I laid 150m x 32mm recently from the water main at the road. It branches at the back of the garage and continues into the property for about 10 meters in 25mm.
Supplies a large new build with four showers. 4 bar static.
Two of them are huge rain heads and the flow is astonishing to both of these concurrently. Mira excels with divertors are fitted.
Can't wait to get the rest online which should be within the next few weeks.

As the price difference is negligible, go for at least 32 if not 50.

I am also inclined to suggest that you use 50 mm bearing in mind that the digging cost will be so high.

A 50 mm pipe will never give any problem from being oversized but a 32mm might.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back