Pipe termination from cold water tank.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 15mm pipe running from the water tank in the loft. It was the cold feed to my old power shower which I have just removed. What is the best way to terminate this pipe. Is there a tank fitting I can put in that will just blank off the hole, or can a just put a stop end on the 15mm pipe.

If I can put a stop end on the pipe, how close does it have to be to the tank to stop any stagnation of water in the blanked off pipe.

Sponsored Links
Is there already a valve on the outlet? If so, I would shut it, cut the pipe 2 inches downstream of that, and fit a compression stop end with a crimped copper olive.

If no valve, then you'll would be draining the cistern in order to cut the pipe, so instead of that I'd fit a blank. These are generally fitted to basins and sinks to cover an unused tap hole, but will do the job for you perfectly.

The nut goes on the outside of the cistern. ;)

Thanks for the advice, there isn't a valve on the pipe, I knew I would have to drain the system down but I was nt sure if I would be able to get a blank to go over the hole.

My advice would be to get at least two different sizes of blanks (if you can find more than one), and then select/borrow/buy the size of holecutter that exactly matches it. You should aim to be 1mm undersize, so the cistern wall is an interference fit with the threads on the blank's spigot.

Sponsored Links
Bunging is an option, but I doubt that the OP has one, and it isn't guaranteed to work, whereas draining is.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back